Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the courtesy lights know when and when not to turn on? like if it is 12 at noon, does it still turn on? it's been pouring out here in Cali ... and just noticed that the courtesy lights didnt turn on when i left the car.. it was about 8pm when that happened... im curious that my clock might me backwards and forthe car it is AM not PM... im hoping it's not the damn PSE unit. [V]

·
Registered
1999 230SLK Sport
16 Posts
I had some trouble with rain and my SLK last summer and the first noticeable clue was the lack of courtesy lights. I unblocked my water drains at the trunk and with some indoor dry-time it resolved itself. I am so lucky! Good luck, check for water leaks.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! i was so paranoid (PSE=$$$???) last night so i took it for a drive.. the damn thing lit up when i got out of the car!?! ... i'll check on the PSE this weekend also the drain tube using a compressor.. the drains are ok tho, no blockage at all..

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
If you've been driving with your headlights on, the courtesy lights will come on when you close the door after getting out of the car. Turning the headlights on is what I believe triggers the courtesy lights coming on after exiting the vehicle

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
TXmudman - 2/15/2005 1:41 PM

If you've been driving with your headlights on, the courtesy lights will come on when you close the door after getting out of the car. Turning the headlights on is what I believe triggers the courtesy lights coming on after exiting the vehicle
It is the lower "fog" lights and various running "yellow" lights that come on for 30 seconds after you exit the vehicle and shut the door. It only happens if you had the headlights on during the time you were driving the car, like you said. The interior lights, which some people call courtesy lights, come on regardless of whether the headlights were on or not then fade to dark after a few seconds; the industry term for this is "theatre lighting" analogous to the way lights are typically gradually dimmed in a movie theatre, so as not to catch someone by surprise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts