Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL Mercedes Benz
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just curious how much do 4.5,5,5.6,6L etc. engines cost approximately.

Also about how much to take out dents and a full paint job?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how long is a piece of string???

Depends on condition of the engine, pulled or still in car, etc, etc.

Similarly with the body work - define 'dents'???
Well for the engines not in brand new condition just working decently. Or just a price range you know if you don't know.

As for the dents I have I think 2-3 quarter sized ones not that big. one that's about 2-3 inches in length 1 inch wide maybe less. One fairly large dent on the left passenger door it's not that deep but it scrapes across from end to end and is in the middle. And there might be other very small ones that aren't even noticeable. If you can't tell me about the dent price (i don't blame you lol) can you tell me an approx on a paint job? A smooth glossy black color.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Hey I was just curious how much do 4.5,5,5.6,6L etc. engines cost approximately.

Lots and lots.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots and lots.
That helps hahahahah. Is it really going to cost ALOT, (for the paint and dents)? Do you think it's going to cost more than 1-3k? Oh and I was just asking for engine prices for knowledge and the future not now hahah.

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
not to tease, but the prices lander or I could give you would be meaningless given the large puddle that you would have to cross to access them.

My point was more about being more descriptive in seeking advice, that is less general in your questions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not to tease, but the prices lander or I could give you would be meaningless given the large puddle that you would have to cross to access them.

My point was more about being more descriptive in seeking advice, that is less general in your questions.
Oh hahah alright. I guess I'll just have to wait till I drive my car up to a body shop and have them check it out. I would paint it myself and get the dents out with my dad but I'm not experienced with paint jobs it would probably have runs all over the place haha.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
From what others have said... a proper good paint job will cost you at the minimum $5k.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
same price again for a 560 donk.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

That's a loaded question.

1) you can get brand new engines, short or long block, for roughly $4-7K. You can find used motors with anywhere from as low as 50K miles to as high as 150-250K miles, usually range from a few hundred bucks to $1000 or so. That's just the engine. Then you need to decide if you are pulling and replacing it, or paying someone to do it. Then you need to decide what you are doing "while you are there", such as replacing belts, fluids, hoses, mounts, and other items you can access more easily with engine out than in, such as starter, alternator, etc, etc. That adds to the cost.

2) paint jobs are all over the place, and you need to compare apples to apples. Are you completely stripping it, removing all chrome and other items and having it primed/painted? Or are they just touching up and blending in? You can take it to Maaco for a few hundred, or a high end bodyshop for $5K and up into the 5 digits for show quality.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a loaded question.

1) you can get brand new engines, short or long block, for roughly $4-7K. You can find used motors with anywhere from as low as 50K miles to as high as 150-250K miles, usually range from a few hundred bucks to $1000 or so. That's just the engine. Then you need to decide if you are pulling and replacing it, or paying someone to do it. Then you need to decide what you are doing "while you are there", such as replacing belts, fluids, hoses, mounts, and other items you can access more easily with engine out than in, such as starter, alternator, etc, etc. That adds to the cost.

2) paint jobs are all over the place, and you need to compare apples to apples. Are you completely stripping it, removing all chrome and other items and having it primed/painted? Or are they just touching up and blending in? You can take it to Maaco for a few hundred, or a high end bodyshop for $5K and up into the 5 digits for show quality.
All installation/mechanic work would be done by me and my dad. As for the engines I probably wont be really looking for a couple years. And for the paint job I would want to go for the best probaby. Because I don't want to go back and get another later. Especially since I might be moving back to Hawaii and it's so humid over there it wears it away quicker. Infact the factory midnightblue is showing because on the trunk about a foot of paint has just pealed away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.