Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got a 2000 MB c230K with 55K. i have a couple of easy questions. 1- right near the shifter there is a switch looking thing that has an "M" on one side and "S" on the other. what is this and how does it work and which side do i need to keep it on?
2- i have 2 options on the car that i am not sure about (1) did this car come with the option for some type of "on-star" program? cause mine has a light up by the sunroof control that is red and says SOS on it, and a button inside. what is this for or is this an aftermarket add-on? (2) the car also has the headlight wipers but it does not have any control that i have found for them, so i am wondering , again, if this is an aftermarket add-on or if these are a factory option. and of course how do they work, do they come on automatically when the headlights get wet or when the windshield wipers are on or what?

i guess that is all i can think of so thanks for everyones help. good day

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
1. It should be a "W" and "S" on the switch.

"W" is Winter or Wet mode - Starts out in 2nd gear for traction and has a taller reverse gear.
"S" is Standard or Summer mode - Starts out in 1st gear and you have snappier shifts. Shorter reverse gear.

DO NOT CHANGE MODES WHILE IN DRIVE... only when in PARK or NEUTRAL.

I keep mine in "S" almost all the time... unless I am in heavy stop and go and it keeps shifting between 1st and 2nd... then I will put it in neutral and switch to "W" and wait a couple seconds and put it back in drive.

2. The system is Tele-Aid... and in our cars it is completely useless as its an anolog system and now they only support digital. You can upgrade the system to digital, but its like 1,000-1,500 to do it. Not worth it.

3. The headlight wipers (washers they really are) work when the headlights are on and you use the windshield washers. They are a factory option, usually when you have xenon headlights, but some halogen systems had them too.

4. Go to the dealer and order a manual, there are a lot of cool things you will find with the car.

One neat trick... point the key at the IR window in either front door handle and press and hold unlock... all windows will lower and the roof will open... hold lock and the opposite happens. If it doesn't work SEARCH for "Syncronize Windows"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts