Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a CLK 320 last week from a Benz dealership, its a very late 03 model and I was wondering about a couple of things.

1) Can the current stereo/navigation unit be replaced with one from the later 04/05/06 model clk 350? Its got a much larger screen and is full colour display.

2) Is it alot of work to install the TV reciever unit?

3) Whats the best/good quality HID xenon light kit for this particular model of car?

4) Will replacing the rims to say 18" or 19" AMG wheels effect the ride quality even if I dont lower the car?

5) Its got an old hands free phone kit in the center console that I wish to get rid of so I can utalise it better, am I able to replace this with an I-pod kit of some sort? if so can someone reccomend a good kit that will work with the stereo unit?

Sorry about the range of questions but its just a few things im unsure of.

thanks for reading.

·
Registered
402 Posts
As for all your electronics and HID questions, I can tell you that these topics are discussed a lot on the MBWorld W209 forum. Just a fact - not promoting that forum.

As for wheel size, yes the larger wheels will affect the ride. 18 will affect it some and 19 will affect it more. The reason is that as you enlarge the wheel you need tires with smaller sidewall profiles. The smaller the profile, the stiffer the tire and the harsher the ride. The later 8 cylinder models came with 18 inch wheels. That's what I have. To each his own, but 18 is my limit for a harsh ride. I don't think I'd take 19s if someone offered them to me for free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.

At the moment there are some really girly looking 17"'s on the car and just wanted to update it a bit.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,826 Posts
1) Can the current stereo/navigation unit be replaced with one from the later 04/05/06 model clk 350? Its got a much larger screen and is full colour display.
No. The revised COMAND unit that came out for MY2005 uses a different CAN bus and fiber optic system. Your best bet is to go aftermarket.

2) Is it alot of work to install the TV reciever unit?
OEM parts will likely be very costly. An aftermarket solution is probably better.

3) Whats the best/good quality HID xenon light kit for this particular model of car?
There are few aftermarket suppliers. You can get OEM's on eBay for around US$1600. You can get used ones that may need some repairs for less than half that.

4) Will replacing the rims to say 18" or 19" AMG wheels effect the ride quality even if I dont lower the car?
Yes. The rims will be heavier and the lower profile tires will be more firm. But the stock suspension is a bit soft anyhow, so it probably won't be so bad.

5) Its got an old hands free phone kit in the center console that I wish to get rid of so I can utalise it better, am I able to replace this with an I-pod kit of some sort? if so can someone reccomend a good kit that will work with the stereo unit?
You may be able to buy a BlueTooth "puck" and use that stock interface. If you want iPod integration, there are some kits made by Dice and others. In the long run, the best solution will be to replace the system with a modern aftermarket unit.

Sorry about the range of questions but its just a few things im unsure of.

thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rodney,

I rung the dealership parts division and asked about the same thing's, they said a new headunit would costs in excess of $8,000 and another $3,000-$4,000 to install it and get it working right. If I cant use an OEM item im not going to bother with an aftermarket unit as it will hurt the re-sale value later on & will always look a little out of place.

They said they need the VIN to price me on the tv receiver but I dont have the car with me today as I needed to take my wife's car in for service this Morning so hopefully I can get a better idea of that tommorow.

They did offer me an I-pod kit for $700 & something dollars uninstalled so I may go down that path but those DICE kits look nice & simple so will need to make a decision there.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Smackn Out - you can always be on the lookout for an aftermarket unit you can live with, buy and put it in for your use, keep the OEM item and have reinstalled before you attempt to resale.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,826 Posts
Smackn Out - you can always be on the lookout for an aftermarket unit you can live with, buy and put it in for your use, keep the OEM item and have reinstalled before you attempt to resale.
Excellent advice! Aftermarket touchscreen NAV units with a good install kit don't look that bad. Being a MY2004, an aftermarket radio is really not going to affect the resale value by a huge percentage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts