Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, major newbie here. My wife and I own a 03 G500 and really love it, but just recently, the right rear door sensor has failed. Does anyone know where this sensor is located and a good source? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, we would like to put some type of cover on the front d/s seat that protects it from wear, anyone with any recomendations? Thank you very much in advance.

Jeff
03 G500 bone stock

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
I think it is really impossible to wear out the drivers seat. I have treated mine really badly, got sand and salt water on it every day for 5 years, stood on it all the time putting surf boards on the roof, and it still looks new. It would probably last longer and look better than anything you could put on top of it.

The door sensor I think is part of the lock mechanism, and a quick way to get one would be at a Merc dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That is good to know about the seats. I suppose I need to pull off the door panel to get to the latch mechanism. Any idea if it is a proximity sendor (inductance) or a simple electrical contact? Thanks again!!
Jeff

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
what do you mean with "door sensor"? And why do you have to get to the latch mechanism?
Wat's the reason why you assume that the sensor has failed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The door sensor is indicating the door is always open even though it is closed. This is evident by the constant alert message coming up in the display along with a "malfunction" indicating the door is ajar. I have not been able to detect the typical (that I know) sensors that are mechanical and located in the jam and trigger when the door presses against them. I did find what apeared to be a proximity detector, but was incorrect (plastic "head" located in jam above lower hinge. I have reduced it down to either a mechanical or proximity sensor in the latch mechanics or in the lower hinge, just not certain which one it is.
On another note, I got your message and hope to be able to buy the manual cd next pay period (end of month). I can't wait cause that is what it sounds like I REALLY need. Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts