Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300D
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen much talk throughout the threads about ALDA, except they all assume you already know what it is. So what exactly is it?

2nd question: Valve adjustment. Is this something that can be done with a modicum of mechanical know how or should it be left up to the professionals? Also, what are some symptoms to tell me I need adjustment??

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
The ALDA is the silver thing thats in the lower left hand corner of the picture and has a screw slot on top. Yours may have a black plastic in a small pot metal cover surrounding the screw. This item makes fine adjusments to the fuel delivery based on the throttle position and the pressure in the intake manifold. In the case of NA this is barimetric pressure and in the case of the turbo it is the pressure in the intake manifold via a plastic line.

For more info check the help section of this forum.

Valve adjustment is fairly easy after you get the valve cover off. You need two wrenches (I forget the sizes but it is about 155mm I believe) and a feeler guage. The settings is located on the car on one of the little tags. Be sure to check the clearance from the intake side of the cam and check several times. Also check after you tighten the set nut down beccause it can change. Again for more info check the help section on this thread.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts