Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well do the windows of the coupe seal when closed? I've been looking at pics and they appear to be fairly conventional, sealing by the pressure of the door being closed. Other cars with frameless windows I've had tended to leak wind through the seals as they grew older. Does the coupe suffer this?

And a second question, is it possible search with an "and" operation. I.e, I wanted to find posts with "coupe" and "windows" in the title but couldn't figure out how to do it. Always got posts with one or the other. :surrender:

·
Registered
C140 W140 C126 W201 W116 W210 W163 W251 R129 R170 928S 944S GTV6
363 Posts
When I got my CL, the windows were horrible and there was lots of wind-noise, but that is in no way a reflection on the way how the windows are made and how they seal, but much more on the way how the car was treated in it's former life. I also own a C126 that has the same frame less design and I never had any issues with noise on that car.

The C140 will make sure your windows seal tightly by dropping the glass about half an inch when you open the door, or also following with a small drop of the rear window when you open the side window, just so it can let the air escape out of the cabin and then roll up to seal tightly against the seal when you close it again. This was not working when I first picked up the car, and the passenger side window was out of adjustment for some reason. On the newer coupes (I believe it's 95 and up?) all the window adjustments can be made without taking apart the inner door panel - everything is right under the cladding of the door. Fairly straightforward procedure.

I don't think there is any more wind noise in my CL than there is in the wife's S, and it's on both pretty much nothing.

--Zax

·
Registered
98' S320, 93' Mazda Miata
12 Posts
I can't help you with the windows since I don't own a coupe, but I can with the search!

Google search does not use the standard Boolean AND and NOT operators. (But they do use OR...:confused:)

For specific words you want to absolutely be in the query, use the + sign. In this case, search +coupe +windows . If you want to search for a specific phrase, use double quotes (" ") to surround the phrase. To make sure your entry does not contain a word, use the - sign.

More info is here:

More search help : Google search basics - Web Search Help

-Jason

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
How well do the windows of the coupe seal when closed? I've been looking at pics and they appear to be fairly conventional, sealing by the pressure of the door being closed. Other cars with frameless windows I've had tended to leak wind through the seals as they grew older. Does the coupe suffer this?

And a second question, is it possible search with an "and" operation. I.e, I wanted to find posts with "coupe" and "windows" in the title but couldn't figure out how to do it. Always got posts with one or the other. :surrender:
It is rubber. Anything will suffer with age and time. When working properly, even when worn, the seal is way better than conventional frames. You need really terrible seals to hear specific noise

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Zaxxon is correct: there are adjustments to the windows that need to be tended to occasionally. I have original seals and they're intact and my coupe is quieter than my sedan, even though it is older.

Curious how long the process lasts: when opening either door on the coupe, the sequence is: rear window lowers a couple of centimeters, followed by the front window dropping a couple of centimeters, and when closing the door, the opposite sequence takes place. Both windows tuck into the rubber weather strip.

Good news: the rubber stripping on our cars appears to hold up VERY well; the rubber on my 1992 is still good as new, not just my sedan and coupe.

Anyone else have experience on the stripping on our cars?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts