Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted another thread about 2 small creases in my roof - To recap, Paintless Dent Swami says he won't do it. "The headliner, the...etc". Well, a very valid point because the sunroof cartridge assembly would be in the way and prevent him from accessing the dents from the inside. But, if the headliner was out...well he'd jump right on it.

Well, my headliner is Making Flippy Floopy due to old glue and high speed driving with the sunroof and all four windows down. There is a magic speed at which suction overcomes the old glue and the whole thing gets loose like an old lady's bloomers. Suffice it to say that I reached that magic velocity and the damage has been done. SO...the headliner has to come out.

Enter the FSM and 45 mins later and the headliner is out. Not too heinous a job, but there are few steps unclear and perhaps unnecessary (why does one need to remove the rear seat?). But, on to more pressing matters and the reason for this thread...

It appears as though the entire sunroof cartridge/assembly simply bolts into the roof. There are metal rails into which the cartridge bolts thread. Simple right?? Or WRONG? My fear is that if I pull the SR assembly out I'll never get it back in the proper alignment. But, I don't see how I can dick it up given that I am not touching the mechanism at all. Just the assembly.

Am I nuts?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
It's been a while so, from memory, to take out the headliner you have to take out the C pillar upholstered pieces (beside the rear window) and to get those out you have to take out the rear seat vertical pieces....and to get THOSE out you have to take out the rear seats. Or I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the seat out but quickly found out that by simply pulling on the top of the C pillar cover it popped free from its clips. The headliner was simple to pull forward and out from there.

Any thoughts on the sunroof removal? ;)

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
It will come out as a whole assembly. The cable can be a bit fiddly to reinstall. If you can unbolt and just drop down that may work for the swami. Installation may require a little centering, but the litter arms and everything that is normally adjusted will be in a fixed position.
Yes four bolts, four drain hoses and one cable attachment point And the front header trim piece, and it will come out. But you might be able to just drop it enough to have access.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just to finish this thread up for the next guy who stumbles into this mess...

I was unable to disconnect the cable from the sunroof. I removed the two bolts at the leading edge of the SR because that's what worked on my w123 coupé. No joy on this one. So, I removed the two on the trailing edge. No joy on that either. The FSM is maddeningly vague on this.

"Actuate sliding roof switch in the direction of closing, permit control to move completely forward and pull out"

The bottom line is this, I was running out of time and had to quickly get the car to the DingKing so I simply drove it over and quickly dropped the SR cartridge and left the cable hooked up. I reclined both seats and put a towel across the seats to protect them. He was able to work and completely removed the small creases in the roof. Gone, 100%. One was about 2 inches and the other was closer to 4. Something must have fallen on the car at some point.

The sunroof cartridge easily bolted back up and in. Alignment was not an issue. There are probably 12 small bolts that hold it in place and it can only go back in aligned to their holes. The SR fits perfectly in the opening.

I Then took the car (and the removed headliner) to the interior shop and he will renew it for $200. If I want, he will install it for another $100. My only concern is that I'll screw up his work, so I may let him do the initial install. I'll come along behind him and add the sun visors, handgrips, etc.

So, for the next guy.....

Pulling the entire SR assembly is not that big a deal. It helps to have a second set of hands however for the last step of dropping it. What I did was to remove all the bolts except two on either side in the center. Then I had my main squeeze come out. We sat in the front seats and reclined them a bunch. One hand straight up to hold the cartridge, the other to remove the last bolt (per side). Then, just lower it and find an interesting way to exit the car while leaving the sunroof cartridge perched on the seat.

IF you were able to remove the cable from its mount, you could easily get the SR cartridge out of the car at this point with the windows open. But a lone man can do all the work leading up to that.

**The aft-most two bolts (one each side) which hold up the cartridge have machine threads. There is a kept bolt behind the tab. All the others have coarse threads and simply screw into a hole drilled into the frame. Easy to miss and might just ruin your afternoon trying to figure out what you did with the two missing bolts and or might frustrate you as you try and ruin the kept bolt threads with the coarse bolts. This might happen. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts