Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD; 2012 ML350 BT
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the rear seat interior wall cards out to do the window regulator arm repair, and I just can’t seem to fit the panels and covers back together so they stay.

These pics are at the top of the B pillars. None of the tabs on the back of the plastic covers are broken.

Was there originally glue here? The cover came off pretty easy with no residue.

Any ideas?

FB

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle
Automotive design Bag Carbon Personal luxury car Comfort

·
Registered
W123 300CD, W123 300TD, W202 C250D Turbo
676 Posts
A thin bead of glue and gently clamp together - They have been sitting up against the side window in the light for 40 years so can be very brittle ......

·
Registered
1982 300CD; 2012 ML350 BT
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I was thinking even maybe hot glue from a craft glue gun? That stuff is kinda like rubber cement, I think I can get it off down the road if I need to.

Maybe even a thin-cut strip of VHB tape?

FB

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,522 Posts
Hmmm. I was thinking even maybe hot glue from a craft glue gun? That stuff is kinda like rubber cement, I think I can get it off down the road if I need to.

Maybe even a thin-cut strip of VHB tape?

FB
Hot Glue might melt the vinyl or what ever it is made of.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,522 Posts
You need a thin glue that can take the heat of a hot car interior and won't eat up the vinyl.
Weather Striping Cement I believe would work but it is black in color so care has to be used not to get it on other places that you can see.
I have had a lot of experience with this 3M™ Nitrile High Performance Rubber And Gasket Adhesive 847 Brown, 5 oz. It is a type of rubber cement that can take the heat of even an engine (the one shop where I worked used to use it to glue on gaskets on large diesel engines and how I got a hold of some of it). It is sort of thick and brown color and you would need to mask off the areas you don't want it on. You can coat both sides of an item and let it dry up a bit used as a contact cement and in low stressed areas it will stick together by itself.
The down side of the stuff is it is like $19 a large tube.

I don't use it on gaskets because the stuff is too expensive for that but I have glued thin shoe soles and heels on with it and glued leather together with it as well as enumerable other things.
When used to stick on an engine when the engine surface has been rendered entire dry with say Brake Cleaner I have seen Engine Blocks come back from the cleaning Hot Tank and all the gaskets have fallen off but the adhesive is still there and needs to be scraped and or wire wheel brushed off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts