Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1964 220SE coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd drop in and say thanks to some information found on here, I was able to get my car running again! Somewhere in it's history someone has swapped in what I believe is a 1970 280se engine and a few other items. Fine by me, bit more power ;)

This car sat in a friend's garage since 1996 till I acquired it a couple years ago. Haven't had the room to work on it till recently when I got a 31 Model A out of the way. It was one of those, "It ran when parked" deals but the friend did say it didn't start one day so there it sat. Pulled the spark plugs, checked inside with a bore scope and zero rust was found. Turned the engine by hand, no problem. Fixed a stripped spark plug hole, changed the oil and filter, cleaned the electric pump, cleaned a couple of check valves, changed the fuel filter and flushed the fuel system. Got all the air out of the system, bypassed the rusty gas tank and it actually started :)

Now to deal with the brakes, slow to return clutch pedal and gas tank.

Here's a video of a little I went through.

· Registered
1964 220SE coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, just a little update. Pulled the gas tank down and the top has 3 sizable rusted out parts. Previous owner said, "oh it has some pin holes so don't fill it more than half way." Pin holes I can nearly stick my fist through on at least one. The swing arm type sending unit is frozen in place too. So it's either find replacements, repair or even maybe make a stainless tank.

I did take it for a really quick spin using a temporary fuel tank. The brakes worked, the clutch worked, power steering was spotty, the shifter shifted till the bushings turned to dust. I made a couple out of delrin and was back in business.

Couple questions, are there the swing type fuel senders available? Also, what gas tanks interchange?

· Registered
1967 250SE, 2004 E500, 2005 C320, 2006 SL500, 2020 GLB250
258 Posts
Hello,
Congratulations on your efforts so far. I too have a W111 that sat for 25 years. Started the restoration 3 years ago and I managed to get it street worthy in 6 months but there is always something to fix.
If you have a 280 engine flush the coolant thoroughly and use new coolant. 280 engines overheat easily and you don't want a cylinder head rebuild any time soon. Make sure the temperature gauge works and watch it all the time.
Fuel tank, you are looking at $700 to $1200 and there are no substitutes. Be careful about used tanks that have been coated, these tanks have a very complicated baffle system that can get clogged by inexperienced tank repair shops. You will find fuel senders.
You will have to change all rubbers, they age, become brittle and vanish. Start with front cradle mounts, engine mounts, etc. Check the hydropneumatic compensator on the rear axle.
Pagoda SL group, www.sl113.org is the forum where you want to be, the SL's of those years share the same drivetrain, structure and electricals with the W111's. Unfortunately there aren't too many passionate W111 owners out there to create a forum.
Keep us posted.

Radu

· Registered
1964 220SE coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip on the 280 engines wanting to overheat. Funny you should mention the temp gauge, the needle was stuck and the gauge face was in really rough shape. Someone had been in there before and must have dropped the cluster or rough handled it, the board with the bulbs was epoxied together. Cleaning out the trunk there was another temp gauge that worked fine so I installed that.

Fuel level sender, I managed to clean it up and get it working. The weight of the arm will let it drop to the stop. The corrosion on the body of it had built up enough to where it was pressing against the pivot, cleaned that out best I could. Gas gauge works great too now.

Fuel tank, looking like I'm going to build my own and maybe try and model the inner workings of the stock tank. Probably use the stock sender too. I'm better at stainless TIG welding than aluminum but we'll see what I end up with haha. I need to finish painting the last bits of a 31 Model A before going onto building a tank so it'll happen down the road.

Had to look up what a hydropneumatic compensator was, my rear axle just has a simple spring. That's another fun thing, the axle boot split open during the 500 mile trip in a transport guy's trailer and left a nice gear oil surprise opening the doors. I've already replaced that and topped it back up.

Here's what got me feeling down after dropping the tank. I was holding it up dumping out what mess was left inside when my finger went through. Poked at a few more spots and knew it was done for.

· Registered
258 Posts
Yes, the tank bought the farm. If you are lucky you may find a new one around $750. Check out the W108/109's they have the same tank. Try the Classic Center in CA and beg them for discounts. The baffle system may be salvageable but I wouldn't rebuild the tank from that.

· Registered
1964 220SE coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only thing I'd reuse from the old tank is the sender and gas cap then try and copy the design of the baffle. I'm not going to drop $750 on a new tank, I can make one for much less. If the next owner wants to have a stock tank, they can buy one haha.

Just a little background on me, I work at a machine shop and cars of course are a hobby. I have a 10 second Camaro that I've built, painted, fabricated parts for, bent and Tig welded my own roll bar. I've also brought back to life a 1966 El Camino that hadn't been on the road in 30 years. Started out as a rolling chassis full of rust. Lots of welding, cutting, making panels, lots of electrical for the LS Chevy engine swap, and of course machining custom parts for both cars. Not afraid to jump into stuff and fix or make things myself. Starting to wrap my head around this Mercedes though. The injection pump isn't some magical box now haha.

· Registered
1964 220SE coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, unreal price but I'm sure people are buying them, just like the 1000 dollar stainless tanks for a Chevelle. The one I bought for my El Camino was only $125 but it's not as complicated as this Mercedes tank. When I do build it, I'll be taking pictures along the way.

· Registered
258 Posts
See if you can salvage from the old tank the baffle system, some of them were made of plastic so it may be in good condition and held in place by some tabs. It is right on top of the drain plug, it's about 4" in diameter and 4" tall. See pictures.

Attachments

· Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro 300sel5spd R+C107galore
25,246 Posts
I am pretty sure I've got a few w108 gas tanks. PM me if you'd like to buy one instead of reinventing the wheel. I respect wanting a "new" tank, but it doesn't seem necessary. I sold one on eBay with dried varnish in it for about $250 I think. I could always use more money like that. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1964 220SE coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am pretty sure I've got a few w108 gas tanks. PM me if you'd like to buy one instead of reinventing the wheel. I respect wanting a "new" tank, but it doesn't seem necessary. I sold one on eBay with dried varnish in it for about $250 I think. I could always use more money like that. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the info, I'll keep you in mind. I bet the shipping would be as much as the tank haha.

In other news, my mysterious miss on #2 cylinder I think has been really solved. Changing around plugs, wires, injectors and going as far as making an adjustment to the injection pump to match the output of two other cylinders, looks like a bad valve adjustment was it. The intake valve was being held open just enough to cause a problem. At least I'm getting to know the engine and correcting the previous owners' tinkering. Most of the intake valves were way too tight, couldn't fit a .001 feeler, only a couple of the exhaust valves needed adjustment.

· Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro 300sel5spd R+C107galore
25,246 Posts
Appreciate the info, I'll keep you in mind. I bet the shipping would be as much as the tank haha.

You know, that reminds me. I remember scrambling when a shipper came to pick up the fuel tank. I must have had it listed on eBay for local pickup, but someone in Texas bought it. I think I offered a pallet and cardboard to the shipper. I can't remember what he took.

A friend of mine has shipped engines cross country for dirt cheap from a location with a loading dock and on a pallet. The shipment gets delivered to another with a loading dock. I think I've seen people mentioning Fastenall (sp?) on some listings.

I can't imagine that shipping would really be all that bad. I can work on boxing one up, and get some weight and dimensions. I'm pretty sure I can do FedEx or UPS ground on a package of this size. It sure isn't too heavy, at least the ones that aren't filled with varnish. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.