Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coulthard and Jordan to become television pundits

Red Bull Racing’s David Coulthard and former F1 team owner Eddie Jordan will both serve as television pundits next season when the BBC takes over UK Formula One broadcasting rights from current holders ITV.

Coulthard retired from competition at the end of the 2008 season. He will continue to serve as a consultant and test driver for Red Bull, but will now combine this role with TV commitments that will see him on screen alongside Jordan and BBC anchorman Jake Humphrey.

"After 15 seasons competing in F1, my passion for the sport is still very much alive, and therefore I was delighted to be given the opportunity to share my views and experiences through the BBC coverage of F1,” Coulthard told his new employers.

Coulthard will not be the only ex-driver in the BBC’s line-up. Martin Brundle makes the switch from ITV to continue his co-commentating role, alongside Jonathan Legard. Brundle’s former colleague Ted Kravitz is also retained to report from the pit lane, where he will be joined by Lee McKenzie.

Jordan has remained a regular visitor to the Formula One paddock since selling his team to Midland in 2005. The Silverstone-based squad has changed hands twice since then, with current owners Force India taking over from Spyker late last year.

·
Administrator
8,707 Posts
Anyone who watches F1 in the UK or like me receive it abroad via the SKY satellite system will welcome that it will now be hosted by the BBC and not by ITV.

ITV is a commercial station and the races are frequently punctuated by commercial advert breaks, and of course if ever there is any drama or an important overtaking manoeuvre, it always occurs during one of these wretched advert breaks :mad:

Now that the BBC will be covering the next F1 season we can look forward to pure uninterrupted racing.

It's nice to see that Martin Brundle and Ted Kravitz have moved over to the BBC team, Brundle in particular is very insightful as an ex. F1 driver.

The BBC are also putting up that old bugger Murray Walker who was commentator on F1 back in the days of Graham Hill, Jim Clark etc.

With a few rule changes like slicks are again allowed, it should be a an interesting and more entertaining season.
There is talk that in the future every car must have the same engines and transmissions to make it fairer for the smaller less well off teams, I can't see that happening somehow.

·
39,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
F 1 TV race coverage

I have followed Formula One for over 40 years from four of the Continents.
IMO, the Speed Channel's coverage is the best I have seen.

F1 Blog
A website by people with an incurable obsession with Formula One Racing
19:11:06 | Monday, 24 November 2008 The Y Series: Speed Channel vs ITV
November 3rd, 2006 | by wingnutsc |
When watching a race on TV, what do we want? The answer is that we want to either feel like we are actually there, or that we are a part of it. Having watched a wide variety of sports in my day, I know what i want in an announcer. I want them to be: A) Knowledgeable, B) Enthusiastic, C) Fun to listen to, and D) Know when to, and not to, talk.

Many people who have heard some commentary from the ITV and Speed Channel teams will probably side with the ITV crew. I think this is because they are British. Subconsciously, we associate that people in Europe know more about F1 than Americans do. By and large, that’s probably a fair assumption. But if I had a choice of listening to commentary from either ITV of Speed Channel, I’d take Speed Channel in a heartbeat. Y you ask? It’s simple really. The team of Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett, and Windsor is just that, a team. Varsha knows his stuff, knows his motorsports history, and, critically, knows when to shut up. This is most evident in two situations. The first is whenever FOM switches to an onboard, and the other is at the race start. How many times have we heard James Allen scream and the start, “…and the race starts……. NOWWWWWWW!!!!! (10-15 seconds)” Compare that to Varsha’s, “…turn up the volume… (4th light, 5th light…)?” David Hobbs adds his insight from his racing years, and a bit of odd-ball comedy every now and then. But, Matchett is the clincher. Being a mechanic at Benetton for 9 years, he is THE authority on F1 technology. He also still keeps in contact with with likes of Ross Brawn, Pat Symonds, and other big names in the paddock. If there’s anything new in the way of technology, not only does he know about it, but he can break it down in basic terms that the average person can understand.

Now about Martin Brundle, he may fulfill the knowledge requirements, but he is the most bloody boring announcer I’ve ever heard. It sounds like he’s count reporter reading back the transcript of the trial. Let’s use Schumacher’s engine failure in Japan as an example. The Speed crew reacted like I would have, “It’s Michael! Oh no! Can you believe it?!” Now I know ITV was at commercial when this happened, but i hypothesize that this would have been the transcript:

Allen: “And Micheal has blown up! Unbelievable! Where’s Button?! Is he going to win? O damn, there goes Alonso.”
Brundle: “Ya that’s a shame. I wonder if it’s going to rain? Is Button leading yet? Why is FOM showing Sato’s and Yamamoto’s pitstops?”

The problem with ITV is that Allen is annoying, a shrill for Button, and doesn’t know when to shut up, and Brundle is boring, a shrill for Button, and unenthusiastic. I want someone who gets excited when something exciting happens. I want them to express the emotions I’m expressing. Brundle sounds like John Kerry, really. Who wants to sound like him?

Tags: itv, speed channel, tv

·
Registered
601 Posts
Considering that Varsha and Hobbs are sitting in a studio in the US, they are doing a good job. IF David Hobbs would quitt interrupting his co-commentators in the middle of a sentence, it would be more enjoyable to watch Speed. We are fortunate in Canada to be able to change back and forth, between Speed and TSN. BBC is not commercial free.

·
39,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering that Varsha and Hobbs are sitting in a studio in the US, they are doing a good job. IF David Hobbs would quitt interrupting his co-commentators in the middle of a sentence, it would be more enjoyable to watch Speed. We are fortunate in Canada to be able to change back and forth, between Speed and TSN. BBC is not commercial free.
Thank god, they got rid of Derek Daly.
Well, at least Peter Windsor is reporting from all the races. He certainly has the right pedigree.
Cheers

Peter Windsor (Personality)
Male
Member Bio Birthplace: Reigate, Surrey, England Birthdate: April 11, 1952 Full name: Peter David Windsor Current Residences: London, England; Sydney, Australia High School and college: Cranbrook School, Rose Bay, Sydney, Australia Partner: Claudia (from Cali, Colombia) What do you do for SPEED: F1 Pit lane/grid reporter Past/current jobs: Team Manager, WilliamsF1; General Manager, Ferrari F1; Sports Editor, Autocar; Grand Prix Editor, F1 Racing Resume: Flag marshal at local race tracks from age 14. Began working in motor sports media at age 16. Worked in F1 as a journalist and/or team manager and/or driver manager since 1972. Winner of five international writing awards. Williams F1 Sponsorship Manager, 1985-88. Ferrari F1 General Manager 1989-90. WilliamsF1 Team Manager 1991-92, winning F1 World Championship with Williams-Renault. Managed careers of Carlos Reutemann and Nigel Mansell. As well as working for Speed, currently writes for F1 Racing (published in 20 countries, selling 1.2 million copies per month) and runs F1/GP2 driver-coaching company. Guest speaker and host for various F1-related companies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts