Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're gonna hate me after this...

Well, I was about to let go of my 124 and buy a new car (ducks under a table for cover.)
But honestly I couldn't bring myself to do it. She's like a member of the family now, and even at her age, it's still far better than anything else on the market today, new or used.
I actually negotiated the price with a buyer, and almost closed a deal on a brand new Renault Megane! But my pure love for her, combined with my fience's and her brother's pleas with me to keep her, my mother's threats with hell-fire and damnation if I sell her, combined with a series of "fortunate" events that soured the deal on the Renault, convinced me to hold on tight to my baby. Ok, it drinks gas like there's no tomorrow, and I did spend lavishly on returning her to (almost) like new condition, but hey, the small matter of poverty won't separate me from my baby [:D]
Today, I took her on a 600km trip to do a story on disgruntled workers at a gold mine in the Kingdom, and it was like falling in love all over again (I got a ticket for speeding [B)][:D])

Shady

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Hey Shady,
It seems like you came to your senses..
The Reanault Megane is a great little car.
Like you said, even at your cars age it still
is a better car overall than most new cars. They say that 124's were sort of an end of an era or the way of the cars were manufactured in a sort of overbuilt/overengineered sort of way. That is why these motorcars don't go away. They are built like tanks and made to accumulate ridiculously high mileage with minimal effects on overall performance.
My 300 with 215K miles is still able to pull 135mph plus on a regular basis. Original headgasket and minimal repairs. Keep the faith..

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Shady.

Please don't buy a Renault. Or a Peugeot or Citroën for that matter. You WILL be disappointed. For sure.

If you are the type of person that just wants to get from A to B, then fine. But I sense a true love in your writing. And I don't think it's coincidental that you had all these Benz's in a row.

As a wrecker I have a lot to do with Renault and other likewise vehicles. The philosophi behind them are totally incompatible with our type of philosophi. The stories I could tell, ooh la la.

If you must switch, I recommend that you try a 300TE 4-matic. They have a certain W126 feeling when driving, while traction is great. It's wonderful in sand. Be selective when buying though. Picking out the right one can be tricky.

Time is running out for that model, and soon the only ones left will be owned by sworn 4-maniacs. They will not want to part with it. The good diesels are already impossible to find.

But whatever you do, don't buy a Renault. I know for sure that I would rather be found dead in womens clothes, than being observed driving a Renault.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
1990 W124 300TE-24 3.4 AMG, 1991 W126 300SEL
152 Posts
If you do it, will you still be a mbnz member? We all gonna miss you hehehe[:D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts