Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon and 1995 E320 Wagon (W124)
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've got two W124 wagons, a '95 with 260k miles and a '94 with 116k. The '95 goes like a scalded cat, and when on the highway at 55mph, you can floor the throttle and she'll drop two gears and race to red line. Kick down works one or two gears very predictably, and you can get a 1 gear downshift with a nice flex of the throttle, two gears when floored every time.

The '94 shifts fine and the shift points all seem normal, but kick down does not. It will kick down, but only 1 gear. At 55, same scenario as the above car, flooring will get me 1 gear kick down, but not 2 gears... what does this mean? Am I looking at cables or kick down switch or something else? Trans shifts fine in all other respects.

I've searched, and see lots of references to cable and the switch, but not sure where to start or what's more likely - any guidance would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,445 Posts
Its going to be your vacuum modulator more than likely, but it could be possible its the kickdown solenoid itself. I'd start with toying with the modulator first.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon and 1995 E320 Wagon (W124)
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - the modulator may be outside my skill set... any thoughts about what a good indy MB shop would charge to adjust and/or replace?

Appreciate the advice.
Gavin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts