Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2000 C280 that has 51,300 miles on her. It is a Sport edition, one owner car with a few cracks in the rear bumper, one small door ding on the passenger side and light scratches on the top of the trunk lid. Interior excellent duo tone leather with the only flaw being the floor mats are separating due ot Texas heat.
The engine does have a slight rough idle or miss, I am guessing air filter or Mass air flow sensor needs to be cleaned. Worse case I am thinking plugs and a few bottles of injector cleaner. Tires were replaced in 2011 with Braum tires which I believe are a Continental tires product. Tires have less than 3,000 miles on them. Most of the miles are short drive low speed in small town miles.

What price would you place on such a Mercedes C280. My numbers look to have a range from $4500 trade in to $7500 to end retail. But, I could sure use some help in narrowing this range down.

What can I expect it to need as far as maintance both now and in the future.
I fugure being 13 years old some basic replacement of hoses, belts coolant would be in order.

From reading the forum it would seem there are a number of items that could raise its head, but I am fairly decent with a set of tools and am willing to tackle basic items head on.

Thanks for any assistance you care to share,

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Sounds like it could be a very nice car, real low miles for sure. Question is what kind of maintenance has been done on it and what records the owner has. I would also want to know how the car has been stored most of it's life, was it garaged or did it sit baking in the sun or in cold snowy winters exposed. Rust prevention seems not to be a strong suit on Mercedes, so southern cars are always a better deal especially when they get a decade or more older.

Best thing you can do is get a pre purchase inspection by a good Mercedes mechanic. Being handy is a pre-req since you don't want to constantly pay for somebody to be fixing it. I've been working on a '98 that had about 68k on it, but had lots of interior issues. I like the car, it rides and drives real nice. Very solid feeling for such as small car.

There was a post not that long ago on blue book values and the responses were all over the place. I would still look at all three sites, Edmunds, Nada and KBB and go with the average you get from all three.

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
All very solid advice by Bob. After having a pre purchase inspection if all checks out with only minimal issues, I would guess a fair price would be 5k-5500.

Good luck.

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew well the original and only owner of the car, all maintance was taken care of. The car never had one issue, unless you count a dead battery back in 2006. Back then the local dealer sent out a tech to replace the battery in her garage. Speaking of her garage, it was garaged almost every night of its ownership. It has experianced a accident or more of a heavy tap to the rear bumper cover which was replaced with MB parts, painted and the paint still matches perfect.

I guess I am more inquiring as to what to expect in the future as to issues that seem to haunt these little C-Class 280s...if any are of rear concern.

As for the price, I just want to be fair and realistic. Not wanting emotions to come into play....this was my Mothers car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As kind of a side note or observation. After 13 years of driving Mom to Dr appointments and such, I just yesterday while sitting in the car cleaning it out found a true comfortable seating position. Seems in this MB it is better to sit high than low.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
In that case, keep the car in the family. It's been well taken care of all it's life, should do you very well. The fact that it has been mostly trouble free bodes very well. If the transmission fluid hasn't been changed yet, I would go ahead and do that or get it done. The 5 speed electronic trannys have been known to be a bit problematic, but that may have been when they were first introduced in '97 or '98 and yours is a '00. I would still take it to a mechanic to see what needs to be done with it, that is cheap insurance. Also look closely at how the ac is working. Does it cool the car well in the TX heat, do all the different outputs work or do they open and close on their own? That would be leaky bellows, and there is one post here by a guy that has tearing the dash apart down to a science. Vacuum lines in general can be a bit touchy, these cars really rely on vacuum to do much more than anything else I have seen.

What to pay mom for her car? I'm not even going there. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With deep sorrow this would be through the estate.

One thing Mom and I always shared was an appreaction of cars. When I was 15 years old we learned how to do a tune up on a car back in the days of points, plugs, rotor, and capacitor. We then moved on to exploration of the brakes from rear drums all the way up front to doing a master cylinder.
We learned body work, paint and whatever we could get our hands on with a car. I guess this is the true reason I am looking at keeping this C280 as a connection to our connection of the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts