Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to give the new to me W140 a good detail after she had been sitting under a tarp in a barn for close to 5 years.

The seats were looking a bit beyond their sell by date, feeling dry & hard (but not cracked) and just plain old. I've always been a fan of 303 but can't find it it here.

I asked for some advice to a friend of mine who details cars to the rich, even though we both knew I could never afford one of his 3 day detail specials like he does with Lambos and Ferraris, and other exotic stuff.

Anyway, he said to use Nivea cream and let it sit for about a day. The results would be amazing. I said, you must be joking "That same stuff old, wrinkly ladies use". He responded "Exactly . . . old and wrinkly".

So I bought a jar of the stuff for about $5. He did say to buy the plain jane Nivea, not Nivea for Men or anything else. I applied it yesterday late afternoon and went to look at the results almost 24 hours later.

One word. Astonishing. No oily, greasy feeling, no multiple treatments needed. No cleaners. Just apply and let it sit. You do have to rub it in really well until you see no further signs of the white cream. And as for the perforated portions, he did say do the plain sections first then use the portion of the rag that has the permeated cream onto the perforated sections of leather. Anyway, I will let the pictures do the talking.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,377 Posts
Old trick in Germany! … And don’t use any other skin crème than Nivea … not because it’s a German product … because it simply brings the best results … procedure exactly as you describe.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,377 Posts
Right! … only use the old fashioned “Weiß in Blau” (white crème in blue can) … the regular one … it’s been on the market practically unchanged for about 100 years.

Btw … good for human skin too! … by far not as expensive as these cool sounding French products, but at least as good. … LOL

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Steve,
Seats looks very good, did this treatment soften the leather or just improve the physical look overall?

I am going to give this a go, The front seats on the SEC are rather hard on the front due to constant UV exposure.

I steamed my seats on a past 300E to exfoliate any dirt that had been absorbed into the leather over 25 years and was amazed at the amount of crap that came up onto the cloth as i wiped them down, It was disgusting. I may do the same here then apply the old women cream!

Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just apply and let it sit for at least 24 hours. Reapply as needed. Make sure the car is not exposed to the sun while the cream is doing its job

And yes, it soften the leather considerably to as new condition

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
...apply and keep it out of the sun. just noting thats the opposite of what leatherique says for their product. what did you use for the final cleaning after applying the nivea? you wiped it down with a soft cloth to pick up anything on the surface?

·
Registered
801 Posts
What do you use to create the steam?

How do you use it?

Steve,
Seats looks very good, did this treatment soften the leather or just improve the physical look overall?

I am going to give this a go, The front seats on the SEC are rather hard on the front due to constant UV exposure.

I steamed my seats on a past 300E to exfoliate any dirt that had been absorbed into the leather over 25 years and was amazed at the amount of crap that came up onto the cloth as i wiped them down, It was disgusting. I may do the same here then apply the old women cream!

Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
745 Posts
wow

That is amazing! I have a couple of interiors that could benefit from this...
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What do you use to create the steam?

How do you use it?
We have one of those steam irons sold in target and such for about $25-$30, They stand upright with a detachable head. I covered the head with an old t-shirt and when over the seats slowly, The steam comes right through the t-shirt and acts as a wipe when all the crap comes out of the leather. I think i went through 3 old shirts but i done the entire car.

The mistake i made was i then conditioned the car with a product that was in my opinion sub standard and created a greasy/oily effect. It took a long time for the seats to look more natural rather than glossy

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...apply and keep it out of the sun. just noting thats the opposite of what leatherique says for their product. what did you use for the final cleaning after applying the nivea? you wiped it down with a soft cloth to pick up anything on the surface?
There is no final cleaning. Just keep rubbing and use a clean spot on your application rag when it starts getting soiled. In other words, just use one spot on your rag. When that spots starts looking gray/dirty, then start using a fresh/clean spot on your rag. When the rag is no longer picking up dirt from the section your applying the cream onto it's time to move onto the next section. About as simple as it gets.

Obviously, no product can undo damage. But for this price, this is the best bang for the buck I have come across without having to go through several stages. And it leaves a nice sheen like a new car without leaving a obnoxious odor like most of these other cleaning products do.

Bonus, works great on vinyl too such as the top of the door cards. Probably does miracles on MB-Tex too.

Use the cream liberally, but not excessively to avoid it getting onto cloth, etc.

The trick is in the application, as the cream itself is like phillie cream cheese, so the more elbow grease you use the better the results will be.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Anyway, he said to use Nivea cream and ....
Well, an update on my economy motoring programme.

Part fails, find part number from MB EPC. Google that number, find that someone's got one for €50 instead of €400. Install it and everything now works.

Find the part number for the rear view mirror. Plug that into Google and find one for €25 (postage included)instead of nearly €90. Mirror arrives and appears to be brand new, genuine MB part. Spend €80 on booze to celebrate.

Go on to Internet and read about some cove who uses Nivea cream instead of €60 product recommended by Aston Martin etc. etc. Go to bathroom and find Nivea, rub it into leather seats in 300CE and now they're looking great.

Who said that running a Mercedes is expensive?

RayH

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
...we still have products with lanolin. i have a tin of bag balm that contains lanolin. ive had the tin for a number of years so maybe it no longer contains lanolin but if you asked your dr for some lanolin cream i bet you could get it.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,377 Posts
On the ingredients label of my wife’s 400 ml Nivea can it says: “Lanolin Alkohol (Eucerit)”
And the price label says EUR 4.95

My wife uses nothing but this stuff to keep our leather pad furniture like new.

Come to think of it … maybe if you can get the Lanolin containing version somehow, you pass this over to your wifes … maybe they will blame you less then for spending so much time on benzworld.org … LOL

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
German Nivea Creme Ingredients:
Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit®), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol.

USA Nivea Creme Ingredients:
Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Glycerin, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Panthenol, Alcohol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Fragrance (Parfum), Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

G13. Is Nivea Creme really the same thing as Creme de La Mer? | Skinacea.com

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks for the correction. Yes.........udder cream for cows . Although, not a consumer based product for everyday intented use on humans, it does contain lanolin.
Not sure they tested long term use on cows and how it affects the human installing the balm , ,but since it`s vital to the dairy industry, it must have been deemed safe.....In fact, udder cream is widely used in the fiberglass fabrication industry to help prevent absorption of certain chemicals and solvents even though OSHA recomends protective clothing. I know a lot of older folks who use B-- Balm to soften the skin on there feet.

You might want to test that B Balm product on lighter color leathers in inconspicuous areas to make sure the additional oils won't stain the leather.
...im a human that used bag balm on a very frequent basis. i spent decades in the construction industry and concrete is a staple ingredient in construction. concrete coming in contact with your skin/hands dries them out horribly causing your skin to not only dry out but crack and peel. applying bag balm to your hands will restore them to normal again overnight. women who want soft feet or have stubbron hard skin on the heels, bag balm will turn that around in no time at all. its a great product for dry human skin and cuts and abrasions.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts