Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300, 1970 280se convertible,2010 e350
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The tapping noise has been very annoying. This is my second posting on this subject and I have read about the lifters noise on these engines posted by others. I replaced my engine mounts, changed gas brand, run engine cleaners to get ride of carbons, etc. and my E500 still sounds like a diesel. I showed it to two dealerships and the same ansewer, it is normal for this engine. Several MB shops have recommended I go with a higher viscosity oil, 10w-40. I don't mind going with 5W-40 but not sure about higher viscosity. I have 80,000 miles on the car and live in Dallas ( Local temp ranges from 30F-110F). Should I try it? Has anyone done this? Do I damage anything? please offer your ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
The tapping noise has been very annoying. This is my second posting on this subject and I have read about the lifters noise on these engines posted by others. I replaced my engine mounts, changed gas brand, run engine cleaners to get ride of carbons, etc. and my E500 still sounds like a diesel. I showed it to two dealerships and the same ansewer, it is normal for this engine. Several MB shops have recommended I go with a higher viscosity oil, 10w-50. I don't mind going with 5W-40 but not sure about higher viscosity. I have 80,000 miles on the car and live in Dallas ( Local temp ranges from 30F-110F). Should I try it? Has anyone done this? Do I damage anything? please offer your ideas. Thanks.
My E500 has been tapping since new and at 101,000 miles I still run M1 European formula changed as per FSS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it seems like it has been enough discussion about this in the past and I must follow the manufact.'s recommended list.

·
Registered
S550 2008
208 Posts
The tapping noise has been very annoying. This is my second posting on this subject and I have read about the lifters noise on these engines posted by others. I replaced my engine mounts, changed gas brand, run engine cleaners to get ride of carbons, etc. and my E500 still sounds like a diesel. I showed it to two dealerships and the same ansewer, it is normal for this engine. Several MB shops have recommended I go with a higher viscosity oil, 10w-40. I don't mind going with 5W-40 but not sure about higher viscosity. I have 80,000 miles on the car and live in Dallas ( Local temp ranges from 30F-110F). Should I try it? Has anyone done this? Do I damage anything? please offer your ideas. Thanks.
How long have you owned the car? When I bought mine used, it had same noise at starting, and after two oil changes noise is almost gone (I think engine was misscare for previous owner). I hope by the third oil change it will go away.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
It could be lifter galleys that are partially plugged from poor maintenance. Thicker oil would make it worse.
50 years ago engines would develop a tapping / knocking sound from worn journals on the crankshaft. Thick oil could sometimes help.
If you do that today you risk starving some of the bearings that won't get oil when the thicker oil doesn't reliably travel through all the small oil passages.

I wouldn't ever take that risk with a modern engine.
I'm sure some of the factory certified mechanics that post here regularly would give you caution about anything other than the certified oils at recommended viscosity.

Resist the additives that are sold to "help" worn bearings too.

If it's a problem you'll need a trained mechanic to check it out.
Don't try to solve it with thick oil or a helper in a can.

·
Registered
'12 E550 Cabriolet, steel grey, P2; '07 R320 CDI, P1, Barolo red
114 Posts
my ticking at idle

all, i bought a CPO '08 E350 4matic in September and immediately noticed the ticking/clicking. Two trips to dealer and they kept claiming couldn't reproduce it (even though service adviser heard it and wrote it up). So, in my first 2 months they had my car -- I kid you not -- for 2 weeks. FINALLY i walked in and spoke with used car sales manager and requested he take over the case since service was dragging their heels. While it's not perfect, they did work out a solution with MBUSA and called me after doing it on someone else's E. They replaced (I think) a fuel regulator/valve thingy (described in another thread in this forum). Is the sound gone? Not completely, but it's definitely better!

Do love the E -- after 2 weeks in a C300 I admit I'd love to have the 7 speed tranny, but C isn't even close in terms of comfort and ride.

·
Registered
114 Posts
all, i bought a CPO '08 E350 4matic in September and immediately noticed the ticking/clicking. Two trips to dealer and they kept claiming couldn't reproduce it (even though service adviser heard it and wrote it up). So, in my first 2 months they had my car -- I kid you not -- for 2 weeks. FINALLY i walked in and spoke with used car sales manager and requested he take over the case since service was dragging their heels. While it's not perfect, they did work out a solution with MBUSA and called me after doing it on someone else's E. They replaced (I think) a fuel regulator/valve thingy (described in another thread in this forum). Is the sound gone? Not completely, but it's definitely better!

Do love the E -- after 2 weeks in a C300 I admit I'd love to have the 7 speed tranny, but C isn't even close in terms of comfort and ride.
I agree the new 7speed is way better than the five speed..... The 7speed is how the five speed should have been.... Five speed is not bad but the 7 matches my driving style

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I decided to change to oil with 5w-40 mobil. I bought it from the MBZ dealership. After driving the car for over 200 miles, I notice no change what so ever.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
The "viscocity" of ALL oils you've mentioned is 40.

The first number ONLY describes performance when cold. When your engine is at operating temperature, you have 40-weight oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SAME THING HERE!

OMG!! I cant believe this! I have the exact same issue with my '03 E320!!

I thought I was going insane! It really does sound like a diesel. not all the time, but most of the time. Sounds like valve train. Some have insisted that its the cat, buy both have been replaced. Tic tic tic tic tic....drives me nuts! Goes down when I put the car in neutral, as if it has something to do with load.
It even sounds a bit like a "ping" when I drive up a hill. Car seems to run fine, but its always been there...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best idea from a MBZ tech.

I showed my car to a tech. when I was at the dealership. He drove the car with me smiled and told me many E class engines sound like diesel. But, his best idea was to change my trunk decal to a DIESEL decal, think of your car to be a powerful diesel mercedes. There is nothing wrong with owning and driving a diesel mercedes. I have started to convience myself that my E500 is a diesel engine. It may help me stop thinking about this issue. Problem solved!!!

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Just to be clear, you can have the badging of a diesel but a gasoline powered car will never have the HEART of a diesel lol..

·
Registered
'12 E550 Cabriolet, steel grey, P2; '07 R320 CDI, P1, Barolo red
114 Posts
there is a fix

If your dealer contacts MBUSA there is a fix for this problem that seems to plague lots of folks in many different models. search the forums and you'll probably find it. The fix involves fuel pressure regulator which is making the ticking sound from what I understand. They did this fix on my '08 w211 and it's almost completely gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts