Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an '83 240d this fall. it's my first diesel. i don't really know anything about glow plugs...like how they work or what exactly they do. could someone explain it to me?

when the little light comes on, i hear a clicking sound. i'm assuming that is the glow plugs? am i wrong?

my car really struggles to start in when it is at all cold out and i'm assuming it is either the fuel injectors or glow plugs. i guess i just really don't have anything to compare to, so it's hard for me to say whether they're doing the job or not.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Turn key until GP light comes on. When it goes off you can start it. Not before UNLESS the car is at full operating temp when you can just turn the key and it starts. In a nut shell, glow plugs add heat to each cylinder to aid starting. You have the high idle cable knob on your dash to the left of the wheel? With the engine off, press down on the peddle a bit and turn knob to the left then start as described above. This cable manually opens the throttle linkage allowing the car to warm up faster IN PARK! Don't drive away with the cable to the left. You must turn it back to the stop to the right for the idle to drop to normal. If you have an engine block heater all the better. Plugging it in a few hours before you start it in frigid temps makes starting it a breeze.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts