Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
190E, SLK350
67,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car started out fine for a short test drive then when I got back home I shut the engine off to open up my garage and do a little sweeping before the car goes back in.
When I started the car it rumbled and then started to shake as soon as I put it in gear. My son noticed a sulfur like smell and a lot of heat coming from the side of the car.
Is it possible that I have a clogged converter or has reached its end of life?

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,991 Posts
how many miles?, Is it the 190 or the 400?
Does the car do a lot of short trip, stop and go, or does it get out on the highway and stretch its legs for decent stints?

Maybe grab a big stogie and take it for an extended italian tuneup ;)

Plugged cats usually limit upper RPM's, so might have been a misfire? Does it stumble when given gas and tach revved up?

·
190E, SLK350
67,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the 400E, it has 110K miles and has mostly sat in the garage for the last three months since I am just now recovering from injuries.
It has a fresh tank of gas that I put in last week. Las week it worked just fine except for a thumping noise I hear when I hit the brakes. I suspected the brake caliper to be bad since I noticed a puddle near the front driver wheel but today when I removed the wheel I found no leaks at the caliper. The engine protection shield under the chassis was soaked however. I looked for leaks but all my fluids are at the same level that I left them months ago. I suspect residual power steering fluid that must have leaked at one time when I didn't tighten the pump's cover.
The car seem to have a new harness for the engine but the lower harness looks like the original.
Those are the present conditions.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Glad to hear you're recovering.
Could be issue with harness being damp, ETM also had the rotting wiring if this is a vintage prone to these harness problems.
Was it put away with only small amount of gas? Could have collected water (condensate) try some isopropl to dry it out ($.98, cant hurt)

·
190E, SLK350
67,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full tank
The 400E is a 1992, so yes, it's possible that the harness is bad. Isn't the lower one connected to the throttle body?
Last spring the car refused to start after a short warm up from taking it out of the garage. I waited a couple of hours then the car started fine. I suspected maybe moisture in the distributors. I didn't do anything about it since.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'd think there may be something up with the electrical and it was just a miss you experienced. But I'll let others chime in with their thoughts.
Good luck tracking it down.

·
190E, SLK350
67,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone rebuilt the harness using wires? I have a large spool of military specs wires that can waistband temperature swings and high temps.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Has anyone rebuilt the harness using wires? I have a large spool of military specs wires that can waistband temperature swings and high temps.
If you own a early m120 engined w140 (ie the 600 SEL) you probably wouldn't have a choice but to rebuild at least one of the harnesses (I'm thinking the harness that controls the slave ETA) as there were so few examples of this. To that effect, someone on V12uberalles has a DIY on how to rebuild the engine harness so for an I6 I imagine it would be 1/2 as complicated.

·
190E, SLK350
67,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started the car in the garage today and it was as smooth as silk. Like mentioned before, this could be electrical and moisture related. It could be that after taking the car for a spin some moisture built up somewhere and shorted the signals going to the throttle body which in turn reduced the engine power and made it shake when the car was put in gear. The sulfur smell is probably a reaction from the cat converter or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts