Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
could bypassing the heater core cause overheating problem? 83 240d?

any input would be greatly appreciated, I just changed the radiator, and check the thermostat and everything seems to be in working order. Car is still at the 230 mark...:crybaby2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
Bypassing the heater core will not affect engine cooling. The mono valve and, in your case the valve thingy, bypasses the core every time they are closed.

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know if that is rust behind the exhaust manifolds i think its just gunky oil that when i power rinse it just come right back. I think my temp guage may be faulty. When i look at it when i drive it just bounces. Also my auxillary fan never turns off, from the second i turn my key to ignite the glow plugs i here it come on. I checked my fuses and they all look fine. I removed the little adapter that goes on top of the temp sensor and the hand just drops all the way down then when i reconnect it its constantly bouncing between 220 and 250. Im at a lost for words here. I dont even know if the car is even over heating, im just going off what the hand is telling me.

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
The bouncing gauge is a good indicator that the indicated temperature may not be real. The temperature needs to be checked at the thermostat housing. The best way that I can think of is to tape a thermocouple to the housing. Most people don't have a thermocoupe or the required display in their garage.

·
Registered
1984 300dt 1985 300 dt 1992 300e just added another 92 300e 1994 e420 1993 300te 4matic
2,506 Posts
...ok could be a relay somewhere in the cooling system or the air conditioner dryer. off hand i dont know where the dryer is located but a relay or rusted/broken wire along the line sounds suspect.

the gauge bouncing *can be* the result of a loose or otherwise inadequate ground. all kinds of systems can run amok over a loose ground like they will turn on and off at the strangest times.

id check the relays and wires, something is signaling the fan which iirc should only be a player when the ac is on.
good luck

...eta: i forgot to include all cool system and ac sensors along with the relays.

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so when i unplug the wired off of my reciever dryer my aux fan turns off. Its so hot in Arizona that im going to need to keep those wires plugged in :( on another note, im having a hard time trying to figure out what going on with this so called over heating problem. When i checked the thermostat the other day, my radiator held almost a jug of anti freeze. Should this be mixed with water? I just topped it off with out adding any water. I also noticed yesterday that when i pullled up home i did see a drip of anti freeze and noticed that i didnt completely tighten up the top hose so i completely tightened it up but the hand is still bouncing between 220 and 240. When i turn the ignition off it just shoots up to 250 and stays there.

·
Registered
1984 300dt 1985 300 dt 1992 300e just added another 92 300e 1994 e420 1993 300te 4matic
2,506 Posts
...you put mercedes benz anti freeze in there right? thats the best for the system anyway. also when you fill that radiator access tank be sure your defroster is ON and blowing hot air. this to keep an air bubble being trapped in the system.

arizona! too hot for man or beast! its 88 in seattle right now and im dreading going to the store.

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im going to have to get me a bottle of it to try it. did this product ruin any of your parts after long term use?

·
Registered
83 & 84 300 TD
424 Posts
Run in the one ton for 250k
Ran in SC dragster and my Barracuda seen a little over 10 deg drop course we only drive 1/4 mile at a time.
Put some in the Mazda cause it was running Warm in AZ it was fine after that.
Think your 116 days will kill any thing down there

My self I think your head gasket is leaking a little after all it is almost 30 years old
I am putting a head gasket on one of my TD's cause it over heats

1 - 11 of 11 Posts