Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don’t know Jay. I spoke to him briefly on the phone about my mog when I called his shop. He’s opinionated like passionate people are but had some good advice. I disagreed with some of the things he suggested to me and told him openly so. I will probably seek his opinion in the future. He didn’t make fun of my mom during any of our phone conversation.
What I don’t get is how someone would get banned from a technical forum like this one because someone else had their feelings hurt. I mean if someone posts up naked pictures of their cousin that’s one thing but I read the two referenced indiscretion supposedly committed by Jay and all I read is some opinionated individuals telling you what they think. No one offends you without your permission.
I comment on this thread because during my search is on this forum Jay has given Some great reads and sound tech. Real entertaining stuff that pertains to unimogs. What else do you want on a site like this? And you got admit that Magpull “this is Breslau” documentary he did was so cool. Is he a good guy or not? Who cares.

On a side note
I have raced best in the desert for many years. And I do have an ultra 4 car That I raced and crashed in the king of the hammers race eight years ago. I honestly suck at desert racing. It’s better to have tried and failed than to have bitched and moaned about why an attempt is futile. Grand kids never want to hear that story.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,272 Posts
There's rules you agree to when you sign up. If those aren't followed then warnings are given, if those ignored a ban happens. That all happened. It's not more complicated than that. I'm sorry if you don't agree based on the posted info, or weren't around during that time, that's all I could dig up in a few seconds on my phone, search feature is still lacking since the upgrade, and most those threads are long gone but there is a zero tolerance on threats for example. There are also rules on advertising, etc. I think it does reference illegal content so you might be spot on the cousins content but that might also depend on where you live, yuk-yuk.

I've spoken on the phone with him as well, you are missing out, he has the best "your momma" jokes ;) the crayon chewing is a bit distracting though. We've had passionate members before, still do. I don't have a personal vendetta here (well, now I feel the need to defend myself and monarchy... So vendetta activated?), I have no money to make or lose (if you haven't noticed, clearly, I'm paid per comma,). If this is all a big ploy to get me to call him just say so, Sheesh. :p

Don't kid yourself, all your grandkids will want to hear about is the plague, and the tiger king. Haven't seen it myself but I hear it's as wild a ride as this thread.

Maybe you are more of a snow racing guy, ever give sleds a go?

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,691 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,829 Posts
@Laproscopic , Jay has done some things, breslau is an interesting story once you talk to Gus who was the money man. Jays stetched wheel base SEE is a neat truck I got to follow one year. And there have been some duds like his 6x6 1300 land ark project and the infamous cab protection bars.

Jay got banned because he wanted to operate as a commercial entity on the forum without buying a sponsorship. He got warned, warned again and then started a fight over it. The ban happened.

Jay works very hard selling his vision of unimog, has a lot of hands on experience and will work very hard for your dollar. He is also a very divisive topic as you see. His parts policy appears to be designed to keep the small market goods orders away so he can focus on high markup rare or hard to find orders. He would rather be the wizard on the mountain who can find the rare gem for a price than shop keep in town who has nearly but not quite everything.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,691 Posts
I’ll second that the 416 torque tube and rear DS and bits on the FLU419 for the wheelbase is bad ass and a really good idea if you want to make your tractor a better hillclimber/descender. The guys over in Germany didn’t have SEE tractors, but the 406 they did was a Cabrio... so... drool....

The one Jay did is also a nice example of the idea and its and quite capable from what I saw of it on the trail. A nice build and pretty decent looking.

C.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,047 Posts
I have met Jay in person even after all of this. He’s an ok guy in person but nothing special. His Online personality is almost identical to real life but he is a bit less aggressive in person. All this said, he holds little to no value in my world because I don’t need his rudimentary knowledge and I have full access to all the parts I need from a great vendor in CA. What baffles me is who is he selling to and how does he decide that. Again, I know several people that have approached him about projects and he turned them away. And I’m not talking poor joe with a pile of junk 404. I’m talking crazy money with a vision for his portal axled truck. Just crazy to me.
Considering I rarely make orders less than $500 or hell even $1000 for mog parts this $350 minimum doesn’t phase me, it’s just goofy. But the strong parts vendors here in the USA spend a lot of time overseas packing shipping containers to bring you the parts you need and that’s a lot of time money and effort that Jay doesn’t have time for I guess.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If someone is advertising without paying for a vendor spot then that can be a legit reason for censorship. Even in that case you have to be careful. Look at pirate 4 x 4 for example. Id say 10%+ of the people that post on that forum have a shop. They post up there cool build pics and at the same time they run a business in that industry. But if you keep all those people from posting up their stuff unless they pay for a vendor's spot there’s nothing left good on the forum. You need those people to provide content. At the same time the website needs to make money. There is a balance

As far as people getting their feelings hurt. That’s silly. Are people really getting threatened? If someone’s a troll that has nothing to contribute then thats one thing but if they’re actually building cool stuff why limit that? Why keep that off the forum?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Then hop on over to pirate.
One of the charms of pirate4x4 is that the dialog can get heated. From this heat is forged new ideas. Its fun to watch an enthusiast go so far down the rabit hole of their hobby that they become the "expert" that others tune into. When a few of those people collide real tech starts to ooze from the conflict. I don't know what Jay has done. He may be a Dick. I don't know him. All I can say is that I have read the many posts he has put on this forum. And they are informative and entertaining. Often arrogant but always entertaining.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,272 Posts
One of the charms of pirate4x4 is that the dialog can get heated. From this heat is forged new ideas. Its fun to watch an enthusiast go so far down the rabit hole of their hobby that they become the "expert" that others tune into. When a few of those people collide real tech starts to ooze from the conflict.
I don't disagree with you at all, in the slightest. This isn't Pirate however. Just as there's multiple parts vendors, there's multiple forums for different types of material. I've never found that forum as active as this one for Unimog content but as you say, it has it's "charms". It's my go to for V8 404 destroying snowdrift material ( I really like that rig).

I don't know what Jay has done. He may be a Dick. I don't know him.
I explained it, not going to again, Maybe it's a "you had to be there"? he was banned, if for some reason that's really eating you up and you absolutely need to see him on a forum there's other one's. Pirate, Expo, etc. They all have Unimog sections.

This thread has run it's course on the subject. It started with a post about an email reply to a parts inquiry and we've determined what that as all about. Haters be hatin' and all that.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,829 Posts

It's done.

·
Registered
1987 Unimog SEE
112 Posts
One of the charms of pirate4x4 is that the dialog can get heated. From this heat is forged new ideas. Its fun to watch an enthusiast go so far down the rabit hole of their hobby that they become the "expert" that others tune into.......
Sorry if I am contributing to this post getting even more off-topic.
There are at least 2 problems with online Forums:
#1 Few people post when their vehicle runs great, so some problems seem more common than they are and the most extreme solutions quickly build to "the best way to solve the problem".
#2 The "experts" are all to often the people that respond most frequently and vigorously. That's not knowledge, that's bullying.

Scott posts pretty rarely on here, but I consider him to be quite knowledgable, both in how to work on Unimogs, but also in what the common issues are. The problem is he makes his money selling parts, not giving advice. So if someone takes hours of his time, then asks for the part numbers to get filters at the local Napa, he still has to find a way to keep the lights on.

·
Registered
1978 406.120 1977 416
522 Posts
Expedition Imports
Vonsmog
Westfield 4x4
ebay
Mercedes Benz
Some heavy truck outfits (westernstar, Freightliner, etc if you know the part numbers or cross reference numbers)
Jim Ince (he still running? Anyone confirm?)
Wanted/buy sell on this forum

Plethora of options. If anyone needs a part number and has their VIN it shouldn't be an issue.
Yes Jim Ince is still around.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,047 Posts
Sorry if I am contributing to this post getting even more off-topic.
There are at least 2 problems with online Forums:
#1 Few people post when their vehicle runs great, so some problems seem more common than they are and the most extreme solutions quickly build to "the best way to solve the problem".
#2 The "experts" are all to often the people that respond most frequently and vigorously. That's not knowledge, that's bullying.

Scott posts pretty rarely on here, but I consider him to be quite knowledgable, both in how to work on Unimogs, but also in what the common issues are. The problem is he makes his money selling parts, not giving advice. So if someone takes hours of his time, then asks for the part numbers to get filters at the local Napa, he still has to find a way to keep the lights on.
Just a point of interest, Scott will absolutely talk to you for hours and then tell you that you can get the part at Napa or the like. I assume Scott makes more money on service and vehicle sales than parts themselves. I also feel, even though I’m a EI shopper, that most of the US based unimog parts guys will treat you the same save one or two.

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
923 Posts
I am a long time member here. I have also been absent for a while but am still very much entrenched in the Unimog world. It saddens me to come back and read this BS I see. The bashing and shit talking about a fellow Mog diehard, and a good friend of mine. I know what all happened, I read the posts, I was here. I see the keyboard warriors, I know who you are. While I don’t agree with the result, its not my place to protest.
What saddens me most is the response to this mans buisness and how people (strangers) think it ought to be ran, when you have never been there to see what’s its about, much less ever met the guy. There are several perfectly great parts guys, we all know that. If Jay wants out of the parts world, who gives a crap. It’s not your place to debate that. Dont drag this guys name trough the mud just because you found him to be arrogant, didn’t like his bumper or whatever BS. I feel most of you are missing out on a great resource of knowledge and innovation because you chose to get caught up in online forum BS. Jay is a cartoon of a human, never freaking stops. All Unimog all the time. what better suited person to be entertained by on a Unimog forum. But I guess some cant get past their own arrogance to see through his and just be ok with that. Oh well, your loss.
Ill leave with this, to any of you being swayed not to do business with Couch solely because of what you read on this forum, may I suggest you ignore it all and go pay him a visit and see what his story is all about. I guarantee you’ll have a great afternoon checking out the couch compound.
my .2 pesos

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW1 Working gears Dual Tanks AC Rigged for Camping Plus: 91 F250 HD 4x4
260 Posts
Hummm..... I live about 25 miles from the subject of this eulogizing. Been to the old shop. You clearly have a different experience than have I.

When you make an inquiry, and are mocked, ignored or otherwise shit on, it kind of sours one's attitude towards the perpetrator. You can genuflect all you want, but I reserve that posturing for those who genuinely merit and deserve it.

Lee

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,206 Posts
Wow!! I don't know about all this....but....Jason has been very knowledgeable and fun to talk with.

Oh, I can also say "pants" in spanish!!

Chas

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,206 Posts
OOOppps! I read this after I responded......I wish I would have read it first...

"Whoever meddles in a quarrel not his own is like one who takes a passing dog by the ears."

Sorry about that.

Chas

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
buqueDoka you make a good point, and everyone needs to make decisions on how to proceed with their hobby in a way that suits them. Impressions of people, and what each person wants from a vendor vary, and C.O.R.E WOULD NOT be in business if customers didnt get value from it.

I’d love to see Couch here and contributing to the forum. Does he want to?

C.

·
Premium Member
U-1300, 3 ea 406, 3 ea 404, Haflinger, 2 ea LMTV.
104 Posts
Jay and CORE have shown a huge amount of originality with Unimog fixin' and modifications. I have enjoyed the visits to their shop and offroading with Jay. But that was many years ago.

Selling to Unimog owners, and the general public, is not for the faint of heart. I can't do it, having been burned too any times. Maybe Jay just had all the BS he could take too.

Most of my Unimog purchases add up to well over $350 anyway so moot point.

Bob

21 - 40 of 40 Posts