Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 - 419 SEE,90 - 1300L
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an Email yesterday that Couch Off road has instituted a $350 minimum order for parts ordered by new customers or online. It does not appear to be directly Corona Virus related.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,022 Posts
Solid business decision!!

·
Registered
1966 404S (sold), 1963 S-P Haflinger 700AP
67 Posts
I guess the small orders just aren't worth their time?

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,791 Posts
Is anything ever worth Jay's time?

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,022 Posts
Yikes!! Tough love from a Jeep lover!!

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,791 Posts
Yikes!! Tough love from a Jeep lover!!
More like Jay is Jay and if this is what he needs to do to keep it moving, its what he's doing. We've all see the Bresslau saga and need I remind you of the poop pipe?

Minimum orders tell me that smaller orders may be costing him money due to staffing, overhead etc. Based on his public face this looks like a very Jay response to a Jay problem.

So imagine you need some filters and seals but 350 worth, how would this policy make you feel? Wouldn't make me feel like I was valued as a customer at all.

·
Registered
1987 1250L Doka
200 Posts
I responded to the e- mail with this.

Wow. Your new policy could not chase me away faster. Or make Scott's operation look better.
Eric Lint
"90 1250 L Doka

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,416 Posts
..probably quite a few new guys on here who didn't see the previous saga(s).
There are plenty (well, a few) parts guys out there - I never even considered Couch as a parts supplier.
In my mind, his outfit fell more into the 'mod and resto' catagory

·
Registered
87 - 419 SEE,90 - 1300L
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a speedo cable from them last year. Their parts guy looked looked up my VIN and caught that my 1300 had a odd ball speedo and sent me the right one. I have also bought other parts in the past. Neither purchase was over $350.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,204 Posts
Expedition Imports
Vonsmog
Westfield 4x4
ebay
Mercedes Benz
Some heavy truck outfits (westernstar, Freightliner, etc if you know the part numbers or cross reference numbers)
Jim Ince (he still running? Anyone confirm?)
Wanted/buy sell on this forum

Plethora of options. If anyone needs a part number and has their VIN it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW1 Working gears Dual Tanks AC Rigged for Camping Plus: 91 F250 HD 4x4
230 Posts
..probably quite a few new guys on here who didn't see the previous saga(s).
There are plenty (well, a few) parts guys out there - I never even considered Couch as a parts supplier.
In my mind, his outfit fell more into the 'mod and resto' catagory
Funny, I always considered C.O.R.E. to be a tax shelter for Jay's predilections.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have used CORE to build my mog. I have placed 5 orders with them. someone always answers the phone. their parts guy is spot on. once you order from CORE you get the parts within a couple days if they have them in.

I tried for weeks to source some deep offset "drum" wheels and came up flat. 2 weeks ago I called CORE and they removed a set off a mog on their lot and had them shipped to my door within a week of the the day I called at a very fair price.

just sharing my experience.

Dustin

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Steve Dempsey used to work at CORE and was the only reason I even caught myself thinking about ordering from them. Now Steve is at EI. Steve is likely who caught peakbaggers funky speedo cable.

I won’t go back into the poop pipe debate and I don’t really feel I need to say much, but I will say that Core has turned away some people in the last few years that have subsequently spent unbelievable amounts of cash on their projects that could have been Jays. Not sure what’s going on at CORE and I just assume continue my life thinking they don’t actually exist.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
655 Posts
I actually spoke with Jay about this prior to him implementing the minimum purchase thing, and as it turns out, being a parts supplier has been a net-loser for CORE for several years. As several of you pointed out, it's not really his thing; nonetheless he hired Steve Dempsey years ago to take a run at the parts biz and built it out fairly well, but the union did not meet the needed outcome, and Steve went his way (eventually to Scott). Steve himself is a tremendous resource for any of you needing parts! He's truly amazing! But, back to CORE... buying parts from DE and shipping them over in small quantities makes the products too expensive for most of us, and waiting on enough orders to fill a shipping container seems like a really horrible thing for customers as well - so a minimum order seems to be the best option. I know they still bring tons of parts over regularly for the customer rigs he's working on, but THAT is really what his focus is on (and should be on, IMO), building machines for customers.
As we have several purchasing options available (and listed above per Trevor), I don't think anyone offended by CORE's business decision will struggle long to find other vendors for their needs. I have found every vendor to be very helpful and appreciate the great experience each one has to share - Jason Couch included, and I will continue to buy from all of them as the need arises. We're lucky to have the choices we do!! I just assume continue my life not disparaging folks in our community, even the ones who are difficult 🤣, our world is just too small!

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,647 Posts
I don’t see how a minimum order policy will materially affect profitability. Margin is unaffected, but some portion of marginal revenue (and profit) is declined. Total profit, all else being equal will drop as a result of the lost marginal profit.

And if one pressumes at most people will not place unnecessarily large orders just to meet the policy, it will actually take longer to reach a critical volume to bring the economies of shipping down. So that’s kind of a bust too...

Fundamentally parts sales profitability is a volume game, so if management does not desire taking all available volume, well... I dunno.

It sounds like, maybe, they can just order you parts direct shipped to them in $350 batches profitably, no real work but the markup and reship. Same as you can do for yourself form Europe, but they will do it for you.

I have no dog in the CORE hunt, but the policy and the explanation are not aligned.

If they get some volume at the pricing I have seen from them it should support a profitable operation.

I don’t know how elastic new UNIMOG parts pricing is.

C.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jay saw my post about my experience with their business. He sent me an email asking if I would post a response for him. Here it is.

"A handful of our customers on this forum brought this to my attention.
A handful of serious CORE haters!, not sure why, but everyone has a right to their own opinions even if they never worked with us.
Unfortunately I can’t defend myself on this forum since Trevor , the moderator threw a fit and said he’d quit if I was allowed to be a paying advertising member yet alone a free one that was going to give out a lot of interesting free technical advice. This is unfortunate for the people that could have benefited from this since we are probably the biggest full time Unimog repair and custom build company in all of the Americas with anew 22,000 square foot faciliity on a 170 acre proving ground, 4 full time techs and a full parts store with x2 people dedicated to just the parts end, working year round on these fascinating and unique machines.

We’ve lost thousands of dollars for years, every year on the parts business since day one with exception of breaking even for 2 out of about 70 months of business.
This is not a major problem since this still gives us direct access to parts for customers and helps us shed technical know how to the community through this leg of our operations.

FYI DHL and UPS have had significant shipping increases from Germany since the pandemic. We currently have 2 people out sick and who have been out of work for the past 3 weeks currently ill fighting this nasty pandemic. So we are also short handed.
The cost to pay an employee to research, confirm ,order, verify currency prices, overseas wire funding , track overseas shipping, manage customs documents for each individual part, confirm receipt, pack, bill, ship and confirm to reorder is VERY time and $ consuming . Please keep in mind a lot of people are just window shopping.
I’m not complaining,just pointing this out. I’m sure that most of the haters on this forum have never had to deal with this on a large scale. I just wanted to hopefully have a voice in Trevors repressive monarchy with this.
Please keep in mind our customers, which have all been awesome human beings!, are not kept to a minimum order.

I’m available to any haters/non haters complaints or recommendations at 888 X UNIMOG ext 3. I’m not being a smart ass, I’m seriously wanting to talk to all of you to figure out what these issues are and how to address them.
Thanks in advance

Jay Couch

Couch Off-Road Engineering
888-X-UNIMOG ext 3
couchoffroad.com

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,647 Posts
I think Jay has done a nice job of demonstrating how we got to this point.

C.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,204 Posts
Unfortunately I can’t defend myself on this forum since Trevor , the moderator threw a fit and said he’d quit if I was allowed to be a paying advertising member yet alone a free one that was going to give out a lot of interesting free technical advice.

Ha ha, yup, that's totally how it went. I'm the fit throwing guy in that scenario.

Oh no, actually it went a little like this:

Couch would post up an ugly (I'm saying it, you call me out, I'll call you out) contraption, lets say a bumper, asking for "constructive criticism" (or advertising as we call it). Then, low and behold, instead of everyone oohing and awing about said item , putting down immediate deposits, he'd get what he actually asked for, constructive criticism. Maybe someone would say it looks chunky, heavy, or try to be helpful (since that was what was asked no?) and maybe post up some pics of some nice German examples that have been race proven for years.

Instead of taking that back, or even in stride, he'd then offer up how big of a deal he is, how large his welding rod is, and...get this, actually ask said people to a meet up to "settle this in person", and state that he asked around, said constructive criticizer was not that big of a guy. In just one example. Last I checked, that's not proper conduct, and should have, and would have, been enough.

I can cite multiple examples of him flying off the handle if needed, but I think that braggart reply above is enough.

The only time any of this great advice was dolled out, was when he had a product to sell.

Lets have a read:

Here's a good example of his bolstering. He starts a thread basically saying "all the turbo installations in 406/416's I've seen are shit, but the one we built is awesome"

Has anyone really executed a turbo build for a 416on this forum?

Is that the wicked free advice we can all expect? SIGN ME UP!

Post number 20 give you an idea of the quality of posts you can expect:

That accumulation of events why he got banned, and why he wasn't allowed to buy his way back in. When he tried, the site admin's noticed...he was banned, so they asked the forum moderators why, and myself, as well as others, posted the original threads that lead up to it (and that alone was enough). I did indeed say if he was back, I'd be gone, as this is a passion for me, and chasing down and settling arguments from Couch (remember, “If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”) , isn't that much fun if you can imagine. Digging up part numbers, posting tech info, finding long lost threads, posting pictures, welcoming new users, moving threads into the proper section, helping others, is why I'm here. Not to advertise products or services thinly disguised as questions or "advice".

As for a monarchy, I didn't even get to drop the initial ban hammer, I can't ban any account older than 30 days, I'm just here to clean up spammers. The case for banning couch was put forth to a team, evaluated and executed. Unanimously If memory serves but I can check if he really needs that closure. But I'd gladly wear a crown, I think they can look quite fashionable given the right cloak and monocle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts