Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Told that I need replace both my engine mounts, which have "collapsed." How much should this reasonably cost. Also, if I'm not noticing any major driving problems, do I have to replace them? What's the danger if I don't?

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Replace them... it will mess up your transmission as the engine is not perfectly lined up with it.

I just had mine done... both the engine mounts and the transmission mounts... total at the dealer was 550.00.

I don't understand why people try to not do maintenance... especially when something needs to be replaced. If they weren't needed, would they be there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input. The dealer didn't mention anything about the transmission line-up and made it sound like it only affected the "ride." Cost quoted was $635 ONLY for engine mounts, not the transmission mount, which sounds expensive to me after searching parts prices of between $80-$100 per mount. Part of my cost calculus also is the value of the car--a C220 with 100,000 miles with residual value of only $4,000 to $5,000. Of course, if it's absolutely necessary for continued performance of the car, then it makes sense, which otherwise has been great.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Told that I need replace both my engine mounts, which have "collapsed." How much should this reasonably cost. Also, if I'm not noticing any major driving problems, do I have to replace them? What's the danger if I don't?
Do the Mounts Yourself and Save a Bundle of Money.
It's really not that hard. Laborious Yes. Hard? No.
Expect to spend the Weekend to do it; but that's because you
may not have ever done it before.

Did you check with an Independent/Indy Mechanic yet? Price $$$-wise?

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
Usually the big reason for changing the engine or tranny mounts is that it will cut down on the vibration at idle which usually becomes very noticable when the mounts collapse with age.

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1992 Jetta w/ 2.0 ABA conversion, 1968 Ford LTD and 1965 Ford Fairlane
118 Posts
If your going to have your engine mounts done you might as well get the trans mount done too. Replace the entire system if you will, so everything will be fresh. A broken motor mount will result in a minimal 20% loss of horse power. Your gas mileage will also be effected.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Im contemplating in doing this aswell. I noticed more vibration recently.

Around what mileage do they usually go on the W202? Im at 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5 5 Speed
608 Posts
I did a search for DIY mount replacement (Engine and Tranny) to no avail. Anyone know where to find instructions on how to? I have a 1994 C280. Thanks. Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front and rear engine mount replacement with the engine in the vehicle is covered well in the Haynes series manual for my vehicle and is in the Engine chapter. If it is not covered in yours you might try the 123 chasis and see if it is similar.

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG Relegated to C280
52 Posts
Usually the big reason for changing the engine or tranny mounts is that it will cut down on the vibration at idle which usually becomes very noticable when the mounts collapse with age.
Indeed!

The mounts on my car are in the initial phase of giving up.

Will replace them today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
E500 Engine Mounts

I replaced my 2003 E500 Engine Mounts last friday. I found that removing the exhaust on both sides makes getting them out alot easier. Its not a bad job, took me about 2 hours with the car on ramps and using a floor jack and 2 x 6 to raise the engine. The driver side was broken in two pieces and the passanger side was cracked. Got my mounts on E-Bay 2 for $119.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
in my c220 there is no need to remove the exhaust. just simply undo the bolts top and bottom while removing just a little interferance such as the windshield washer resevior and maybe the intake manifold support, then jack the engine up, slide the old ones out, and put the new ones in. i did one side at a time. the hardest part was breaking free the stuck bolts.

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5 and 1999 C240T Elegance
61 Posts
I'm in the process of doing my motor mounts in a week. I just did the tyranny mount 3 weeks ago. If the tranny and engine align with the mount, if changing the tranny mount and not the engine mount at the same time put extra stress on the tranny mount?

·
Registered
Diesels om616 -> om606
502 Posts
A broken motor mount will result in a minimal 20% loss of horse power. Your gas mileage will also be effected.
minimum 20% loss of horsepower? how come?

---
looking to replace the enginemount of a 604.910 220diesel w202.
the car probably isnt worth the cost of a new enginemount..

could i fit a mount from a om603 or something like that? are they different other than the hardness/strength? different geometry?

·
Registered
96 C220 & 99 ML430
429 Posts
It isnt a loss of horsepower but a loss of the drivetrain's ability to put that power to the road. You'll notice a much better throttle response and handling with new motor mounts.

·
Registered
1999 C230K Sport
67 Posts
Try to find a shop that will install parts that you purchase yourself and bring in.

For my 1999 C230K, I purchased (2) engine mounts for $160 and a (1) transmission mount for $40.00. That's a total of $200 in parts. The shop I brought them to installed all 3 mounts for $250 labor for 2.5 hours.

That's a total of $450 since I brought my own parts in.

Every other shop denied my request of bringing in my own parts citing warranty issues even though the parts that I brought in were going to be nicer than the shit parts they were going to purchase. I got quoted $700 by most shops to do everything for me.

The car ran much more smoother after installation of new mounts.

·
Registered
96 C220 & 99 ML430
429 Posts
^^^ That is your best bet.

It seems that your engine still uses the same mounts as other w202s so I don't think you'll be able to use anything else. The OEM brand is Lemforder, that would be my first choice if you can find those for a reasonable price. I was lucky because RockAuto carried all 3 for about $130 shipped at the time but I'm not seeing the motor mounts listed anymore, just the tranny mount. You should replace all 3 at the same time.

I'm pretty good with a wrench and it took me close to 2 hours to change all 3 mounts, just from having to finangle the new mounts thru tight spaces and removing a few things that are in the way. But I would highly reccommend you go for the investment, it really is like a new car with new mounts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.