Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Mercedes E550
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GL450 with about 10K miles/10 months left of factory warranty. Took it in today for the Check Engine light which turned out to be the cam magnets. When I asked them to check the suspension because the truck felt a little soft, they told me that both rear shocks were leaking in addition to the front right strut. Also told me the oil plugs under the camshaft were also leaking. Then one of the headlights went out while it was in their shop.

Whether or not I have it exactly right in terms of what's wrong with the car, the bottom line is all of this is being fixed under warranty. They told me it would have been 2500-3000 for the repairs if it wasn't. They also told me that everything they noted aren't uncommon problems for the truck.

My questions:

First, does it make sense to buy, as my truck approaches the end of warranty, the extended one from the dealer (OEM, not Fidelity or another third party)? Seems like a couple of these magnitude of repairs would cover the cost. This is my wife's car and she drives around 15K miles/year so a 3 year/100K mile warranty seems to make the most sense.

Second, what's the pricing? I cannot for the life of me find pricing for the warranty options. I know there's dealer markup in these things and I've seen posts the recommend contacting some dealers for better pricing, but I'd like to know at least what I have to deal with here. For example, for my BMW, I know the dealer price and their cost so I can easily negotiate. I can't find that info anywhere for MB! The dealer told me it'd be around 6K for 3 years/100K miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 GL550
8 Posts
when I purchased my 2010 GL550, I purchased the MB Care, 84 month, 75,000 mile warranty for $4060. I can cancel at any time up to the last day of my factory warranty and get a full refund. Yes they have my money for the 4 years but I figure that is a small price to pay to see if the car is a problem car or not. If it isn't, then i can cancel and get my money back. If it is, I keep the warranty and don't worry about what goes wrong. The current price I understnad when up significantly since i purhased my car in March 2010.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was just quoted 3 yr/100k for a new 2010 gl550 for 5k! ouch. I haven't checked anywhere else but my god that seems outrageous. Maybe it's a reflection of the quality of these SUV's? I will report my findings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On a used 2010 gl550 I was quoted $1600 to CPO it with 1 additional year of warranty. $18xx for 2 additional years, and $2500 for 3 additional years of warranty or 100k miles. This is alot better than the original offer I got. These dealers are really hush hush about pricing on warranties. I have left messages with several dealerships and have yet to get a call back!

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the past, Lisa from Courtesy Motors of Chico gave good pricing on extended warranty plans. But I heard she's no longer there. I just got my FY11 GL450 and am shopping around for 7/75 and 7/100 plans.

Also, I am considering the prepaid maintenance plans. Strange thing is MBUSA build site lists the price but most dealers will quote a much higher price. Do the plans cover just schedule A and B maintenance or also brakes, brake flush, coolant flush etc?

Please post contact name / dealer if you guys found someone willing to discount.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I looked up the prepaid service and it's 2k for 5 oil changes, 1 brake fluid change, 1 transmission fluid change, 1 air filter and 2 cabin filters. They claim it to be a 30% saving but I don't see how. On another note, I'm buying an 11' gl550 and we started at 6k for the 7yr/100k warranty. I got them down to $4750 and that's all. I'm trying to play hardball but I'm ready to pick it up. I can't get a call back from any finance guy regarding extended warranties. Looks like that's the best deal I'm going to get. I feel defeated though.

·
Registered
2010 GL550
8 Posts
I paid $4060 for my 7 year 75000 mile MB extended warranty. Supposedly much better than any aftermarket warrant and is fully cancellable till the day before the factory warranty expires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going to call the guys at Courtesy Motors tomorrow. In the past, Lisa used to give exceptional discounts on 7/75 and 7/100 plans. Not sure if the dealer is continuing the deals now that she is no longer there. Based on my research, best deal I saw was 4200 for 7/100 and 3100 for 7/75.

I just picked up my 2011 GL450 and the dealer quoted $5200 and $3800 respectively. I passed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I looked up the prepaid service and it's 2k for 5 oil changes, 1 brake fluid change, 1 transmission fluid change, 1 air filter and 2 cabin filters. They claim it to be a 30% saving but I don't see how. On another note, I'm buying an 11' gl550 and we started at 6k for the 7yr/100k warranty. I got them down to $4750 and that's all. I'm trying to play hardball but I'm ready to pick it up. I can't get a call back from any finance guy regarding extended warranties. Looks like that's the best deal I'm going to get. I feel defeated though.
Where did you get this info? So it does not cover the brakes? I thought it covered all maintenance items during the period?

I noticed price jumps significantly for the 4 and 5 year plan so I was assuming it covered brakes which could easily cost $1000.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
pre-paid maintenance is different from normal wear and tear.

brake pads/rotors are considered wear and tear as brake wear is not universally equal. And yes; its a $1500 job on a GL at the dealer, but I was able to negotiate 20% off with my SA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
But why would the 4 year cost of prepaid maintenance $1000 from 3 years?

What else is considered prepaid maintenance other than service A and B? I was hoping for Transmission Oil service, brake flush, coolant flush, etc.

Too bad the mercedes plan is not as comprehensive as the BMW one which does cover brakes etc.

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
brake pads/rotors are considered wear and tear as brake wear is not universally equal. And yes; its a $1500 job on a GL at the dealer, but I was able to negotiate 20% off with my SA.
Pad and rotor replacement is trivially easy and requires no inherent knowledge of Mercedes technology. There's no reason to go to the dealer for this, assuming your independent can get OEM or OEM-like replacements rotors and pads.

Paying $1500 for that service is ludicrous.

I'm willing to accept that there are services on these vehicles that require some knowledge of the quirks of Mercedes design (transmission fluid replacement <grin>), but pad/rotor changes are not one of them!

- Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the link. This is very helpful. Based on this info, I think I'm better off paying as I go and finding coupons to reduce the cost. It's not too difficult to find service A for $200 and service B for $300. Brake flush should be $100. So net, it works out to be 800 for 3 years which is the same as the MB plan. I think the reason why the 4 year plan jumps is for the transmission oil change -- but even that can be done with a coupon for $400.

I am still considering the 7/75 or 7/100 extended warranty plan.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Pad and rotor replacement is trivially easy and requires no inherent knowledge of Mercedes technology. There's no reason to go to the dealer for this, assuming your independent can get OEM or OEM-like replacements rotors and pads.

Paying $1500 for that service is ludicrous.

I'm willing to accept that there are services on these vehicles that require some knowledge of the quirks of Mercedes design (transmission fluid replacement <grin>), but pad/rotor changes are not one of them!

- Mark
I drive 100-150 miles/day and my indie does not have loaners while my dealer does. I do not have the luxury of taking the day off to wait for my indie to do a brake job. And my indie is closed Saturdays; so that's not an option either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I drive 100-150 miles/day and my indie does not have loaners while my dealer does. I do not have the luxury of taking the day off to wait for my indie to do a brake job. And my indie is closed Saturdays; so that's not an option either.
I understand your situation, but I bet a day's worth of rental car would be a fraction of the cost of the dealer upcharge for a brake job.

Your call, of course.

- Mark

·
Registered
Cayenne D, GL320, 993TT
65 Posts
+1 Enterprise Rental will pick up and deliver. Often times, garages will have discount rates with local car rental places. You just have to ask.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I understand your situation, but I bet a day's worth of rental car would be a fraction of the cost of the dealer upcharge for a brake job.

Your call, of course.

- Mark
Parts cost the same regardless of whether I have the dealer or the indie do it. (I get parts at wholesale.)

Dealer labour rate $125/hour. My discounted labour rate $100/hour.

My indie labour rate $90/hour.

With the dealer, I get a free loaner instead of having to pay for it.

So its a wash; one way or another.

Yes. I could do it myself; but I just don't want to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dealer labour rate $125/hour. My discounted labour rate $100/hour.
Must be nice. Dealer labor rates around here (Silicon Valley) circle around $200/hr.

Independents are MUCH lower than that.

- Mark

1 - 20 of 27 Posts