Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
' 91 350sel, '12 s350, '18 144 sprinter, '08 sl550
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be ballpark labor cost s replacing basically all the front end wear parts....

1990 560sel

many thanks

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
The labor is about 10-12 hours x your mechanics rate.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
all the parts replaced w/ the Right bits, and not shit from china Adds Up Quickly...

upper arms, lower bushings, ball joints, guide rod mounts, lca guide rod tube bushings, guide rod mount bushings, shocks, buffers, l/r/c tie rods/links, steering shock, idler arm kit, steering box, steering box rag joint....wheel bearings if you Really want to get into it..

needless to say, $$$..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL, 2005 Acura RL, 2006 Scion xB
8 Posts
I recently had my lower control arm bushings, lower ball joint, inner and outer tie rods, strut bushings done... for the bushings and tie rods about 600-700 a piece. next is the rear air cells which will run me another 600. good luck but its all worth it! I'm trying to get 1million miles on mine. finally got my first high mileage badge!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another thought, while the car is hanging in the air on lift, are there precautions regarding the SLS in the rear ? i know my lincoln navi had a switch to turn off the leveling suspension........

many thanks

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL, 2005 Acura RL, 2006 Scion xB
8 Posts
Hapaschold: I asked my mechanic if there was a way to bypass the SLS and he said no. with that said, I also asked Park Place Mercedes (dealer) and got the same answer. =(

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
that's ridiculous... bypassing SLS isn't rock science. Remove the pump, install cover plate, install non sls spring/shocks and off you go!

Jonathan

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
question was if while sls was on lift getting worked on......not removing sls......thats next probally.....

thanks all !

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
whoops...ah well, just don't have the return line to the reservoir open when you lift up the car...fluid Everywhere!!

jono

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,333 Posts
so when buying parts off the varous internet sites how does one know which are shit chinese parts versus proper parts....they all seem to have some sort of german name to them....

i want to do my full suspension, so besides the springs shocks i need to order, i wonder what other parts i should do at that time...ivebeen told my ball joints are bad? but i donno, anything else should be done at the same go

·
Registered
1988 560 sel,2011honda pilot 4wd ,08 gti the baby,91 190 2.6(sold) NA 95 volvo 855T wagonTurbo (DD)
245 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Ly, glad Gary was able to help you out...I might add, that if there is any ever question as to What is ideal for these cars, I supply Gary w/ the knowledge I've garnered from installing these parts here @ the shop...:) Double Win to be sure ya'll get what's Right and what's Good!

Jono

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
all the parts replaced w/ the Right bits, and not shit from china Adds Up Quickly...

upper arms, lower bushings, ball joints, guide rod mounts, lca guide rod tube bushings, guide rod mount bushings, shocks, buffers, l/r/c tie rods/links, steering shock, idler arm kit, steering box, steering box rag joint....wheel bearings if you Really want to get into it..

needless to say, $$$..

Jonathan
Yup, did the 89 about 2 years ago with all parts supplied by Jonathan that he lists, and springs too. I think it was about $1500 just in parts, I did all the labor except alignment afterwards. So if you pay someone to do it, the 10-12 hours labor at 90-120/hour will add up quickly to a total of 2500 or more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts