Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The steel lines ruining along the bottom of the vehicle, to and from the injection pump, are heavily corroded. The return line has started leaking fuel. I was quoted $340 to replace both lines. I like to do most of my own work, but I feel like this one may be beyond my skill. Thoughts/suggestions? Has anyone had this done before?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
One Member of another Forum simply Bought enough Rubber Fuel Line (you can get it in 25 foot spools and I believe it is between $1.50-$2.00 per foot) and Electrical Ties to run the Hose from the bottom of the Fuel Tank to where it attaches to the Hood.
If you run only Diesel Fuel that should be good for a solid 5 years of use or longer.
He used the Electrical Ties to attach the Fuel Hose to the Old Steel Hose.

The GoodYear or Gates Fuel Hose sold in the Autoparts Chain Stores is rated for Diesel Fuel.

Others have cut out the Bad sections of the Steel and replaced it with a section of Fuel Hose slid over the Tubing +Hose Clamps. Others have done the same but used Hydraulic Unions that have Compression Collars and sections of tubing long enough to bride the cut out section.

Still others have bought a roll of Generic tubing and replace the old ones. The interesting one here is that you can buy Aluminum Tubing that will not corrode through as fast as the Steel would.

Both Fuel Inlet and Return Lines can be done in the same mannar.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
I've replaced all of the fuel lines and brake pipes on my 300D. I mostly used dealer parts but for the return fuel line I used copper tubing. (You can't use copper with WVO though!)

In my opinion, to get the pipes to fit properly you really need to remove the subframe. I guess you could try and bend the pipes up and over the subframe but it would be one heck of a job. It is bad enough working under a car on axle stands - a 2 or 4 post lift would have helped a lot.

I do rate this as a DIY job though. But it takes a very long time to do it.

·
Registered
1983 300DT
58 Posts
I had the same problem with my 300D. I just replaced it all with rubber fuel line. Cost me like $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts