Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have checked this before I drained the trans fluid, but I see that the washer is copper and is bigger in diameter than the drain bolt head by a couple of mm's. The inside diameter is ok - it'll seal okay I suppose. The one on there was aluminum (I think; silver-like color) and the same diameter as the bolt head.

Is this washer acceptable ? I'm going to put it on anyway, but just wondering.

Got all the tran stuff from the dealer.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Magnet needed ?

Is there supposed to be a magnet inside the tran pan ?

Couple other posts said they couldn't find any either.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the original aluminum washer on the drain plug after all.
The pan rubber gasket/seal was still very rubbery, but put on new one.
Do these get ever get brittle ?

Drained pan and torque converter. Pan amount was just under 3 liters.
TC was 4. Total just under 7. Plastic bucket/pail has liter marks "inside" - nice. I'll put in the new fluid in the morning. (Where did I put that new measuring tool?)

Found a couple of 2mm long metal slivers in pan. Couldn't see much metal flakes though - used a flashlight. Maybe it was just so small or fine. When cleaning the bottom of pan with lint-free paper towels, I saw some grayish "residue" in spots. Not as much red in the fluid as there should be - but then, at 211k miles and ~14 yrs, this may be the original fluid.

Finally saw the circular connector (about as large as a silver dollar). It's behind a metal plate that attaches to the right front corner. I didn't need to unbolt the plate, but it was dirty.

BTW, I was changing the fluid because :
1) it started dripping a little, and noticed it wasn't red enough
2) don't know when the last change was
3) wanting to stop the dripping, so maybe new pan gasket is in order (although it wasn't brittle - still soft) - not sure where it's leaking from -- bottom of pan always has a thin film of fluid and some of the torx bolts' holes have fluid in them

The only odd behavior is the occasional somewhat hard downshift from 2nd to 1st. Later on I'll let you know how it shifts w/ new fluid.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
Is there supposed to be a magnet inside the tran pan ?

Couple other posts said they couldn't find any either.
MB introduced magnets in the transmission pans of gearboxes as follows:

722.6xx xx from 2871384 as from 17/4/01
722.7xx.xx from 0153700 as from 09/7/01

WIS advises that they can be retrofitted to your pan in the field. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts