Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my first post in the W210 forum as I am the new owner of an E420, obviously 1997. I´ve been in the W124 forum since 2002 and learned a lot of things about that great MB car, now I almost read the whole past posts for W210 and let me tell you that I´m glad to see that this forum is as helpful and elegant as the 300E forum is. I see many of the people around here have been or are also owners of a W124.
I´m a little bit sad because i´ll soon have to let the W124 go, but at the same time I´m excited about the arrival of my new (to me) E420. The beautiful interior, those oval headlights, and the smooth way the 8cyl offer their power had conquered me already.

Beeing now a member of the W210 family I want to ask you, "brothers and sisters in car", my first question:
What are the correct RPM´s for my car in "D" and A/C on?
When I select "N" and A/C on is about 600. I´m reading 400-500 rpm while in "D" and A/C on. Should it remain the same or is this drop normal for a V8 as a mechanic stated?

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C´mon guys and girls, nobody knows the correct rpm´s of a E420 at idle?
My car turns 400-500 rpm´s with a/c and D engaged. Is that right?

·
Registered
96' E320
307 Posts
Hey Rafael, I do not have the V8 but the rpm's you've mentioned sound about right. Its normal for the rpm's to drop slightly when putting the car into drive.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
You load up the torque converter and this places a load on the engine. It would be natural for rpm's to drop.

Of course it would also be just as easy for the ECU reading the TPI and the RPM to just crank it up a bit. I don't think it does though.

I have the V6 - which is 3/4ths of the 4.3L and it is very smooth idling at 500 or so. 450 sounds low, but as long as it's smooth it reduces fuel consumption and wear while at idle.

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.
What made me ask this is that I have very little variation in my other car, a 1990 300E, mo matter if I turn the a/c or engage D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts