Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my front wheels off of my '81 380sl to replace the dry rotted tires and I noticed there is a mix of the 2in and 2.5 inch lug nuts on them. I was wondering which are the correct length lugs for this rim. Some of the shorter ones seem to have the top of the head separating from the wall. I don't know if the wheels are being held on by only a few of the lugs. Also the lugs are flush with the face of the rims on the front and recessed on the back. I don't know if this is normal to.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I don’t quite understand your question and I am a bit confused by the picture of a wheel for ‘86 to ‘89 560’s instead of your ‘81.
Generally, the lug bolts should be long enough to go through the wheel and the thickness of the hub, without protruding from the rear of the hub.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t quite understand your question and I am a bit confused by the picture of a wheel for ‘86 to ‘89 560’s instead of your ‘81.
Generally, the lug bolts should be long enough to go through the wheel and the thickness of the hub, without protruding from the rear of the hub.
Yes it is a little mixed up. The car is an '81 but somewhere in the 38 years and five states someone put these wheels on it. When I took them off the other day the lug nuts were a mix of the 2in and 2.5in types. I don't know which length is correct for these wheels, if it matters at all, and the shorter ones had the top of the nut separating, which I don't know if that's just from age/ overtightening or from being the wrong length. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
You can try this...remove one of the wheels, insert both long and short bolts and see how much you have sticking out the backside of the wheel. Measure and also take a pic. While you have the wheel off there should be a part number on the inside. Also XXET where the XX are numbers. Possibly 23ET.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I see yours have the short shank, instead of the long shank between the seat (the rounded part that rests against the rim) and the bolt head. If you have those, replace them; they have a tendency to fail between the seat and the head, and if they do, there's no removing them without damaging the wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see yours have the short shank, instead of the long shank between the seat (the rounded part that rests against the rim) and the bolt head. If you have those, replace them; they have a tendency to fail between the seat and the head, and if they do, there's no removing them without damaging the wheel.
Good idea. All of mine are like this so I'll be replacing all of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
From the part number it looks like the wheels are from a 126 series...either an SEL or SEC. If they were from a 560SL the ET would be 23. Looks like the 2" wheel bolts would be the way to go as long as the work for the rear wheels. As mentioned earlier too long and they hit the parking brake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the part number it looks like the wheels are from a 126 series...either an SEL or SEC. If they were from a 560SL the ET would be 23. Looks like the 2" wheel bolts would be the way to go as long as the work for the rear wheels. As mentioned earlier too long and they hit the parking brake.
Thanks for all the help you guys. These are the front wheels but 7 out of 10 were the short ones so I ordered all new ones and finally be able to get it safely on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
DeltaAndrew
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing