Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon - SOLD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have at least a couple non functioning bulbs in my instrument cluster, so I'm going to follow the recommended procedure of replacing all of them. I understand that the bulbs with green & brown bases are replaced, but I'm a little confused with the yellow sockets.

I did a search at AuthohausAZ and came up with these results: Your Parts Search Returned 3 Part(s)

I believe I need 16 green based bulbs & 2 brown based bulbs, but what about those yellow sockets? Do they take the clear, baseless bulbs (#0015445594) that show up in the AuthohausAZ search?

Also, for those guys who have done this before, would you recommend ordering an extra bulb or two in case you get a defective one or is that just throwing money away?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP

200+ views & no response? So sad.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
I agree with peter...and the 200+ sad views. My threads the same, it seems like the same people communicate on threads over and over.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I'm on the smartphone so I can't tell you the exact bulb, but the two yellow ones are sockets that hold wedge-style bulbs. IIRC they are the only ones of that type that show up if you plug in your car and choose instrument bulbs.

No reason to order extras, just keep a few of your old ones in case a new one blows prematurely.

Good luck.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
How much you are using your lights? In all those years we drive MB, I recall 1 burned bulb and that was cluster bulb on ML320
I don't count Chinese bulbs that come with Depo lights and burned in just weeks.
If you are really for long bulb life -check the ebay if they have LED replacement available.

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
This is my cluster, the right side of the speedometer and left side of the tach are out/going out, Can you tell which ones these are without replacing them all, or replace them all once and be done?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered the bulbs today...

Ended up getting a full set + two extra green base bulbs. The two extras were necessary to qualify for free shipping from AutohausAZ, and its nice to have a couple of fresh spares.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
This is my cluster, the right side of the speedometer and left side of the tach are out/going out, Can you tell which ones these are without replacing them all, or replace them all once and be done?

I believe that's the wedge bulb on that side. Again, given the myriad problems with these clusters, my suggestion is to simply replace all of them so you aren't pulling the thing out and futzing around with it regularly as bulbs successively fail.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
Here is the rear of my cluster (97) is there 10 bulbs under the the pieces of tape that say 5-1.2s ? I don't have the cluster out at the moment.

I've noted the
4 blues
6 tans
2 yellows

1 - 14 of 14 Posts