Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the owners manual says 8.0 quarts of motor oil , although the dipstick ( if correct ) says that at 5 quarts it seems to be full , I'm confused , anyone know the correct amount of oil ??

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,637 Posts
E500 with M113 5.0 l engine should be 7.5 litres or 7.9 US quarts,,,replacement amount for an oil and filter change.

The question has to be ,,are you sure it was fully drained , and you changed the filter allowing oil to drain down at the same time ?
If it was ,,then it should take 7.9 quarts ,,how do you know the dipstick is right ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed the dipstick that checks the trans fluid level also checks the oil level - oversight on my part, I will add more oil and check via the dashboard reading

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,637 Posts
My opinion , the best way is to make sure all old oil is properly drained ,,then I carefully measure out the replacement amount of oil using other clean containers ,,I use 1 ,2 and 3 litre plastic milk bottles...that way you know you are adding the right amount ,,and there is no need to try and measure later..
The dashboard reading is only good to say if oil level is ok ,,but should not be used to try and get a reading equal to the replacement amount or you will overfill the engine ,which is bad.

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
548 Posts
The dashboard reading is only good to say if oil level is ok ,,but should not be used to try and get a reading equal to the replacement amount or you will overfill the engine ,which is bad.
Turn the key into position 1 and push reset button quickly 3 times. You will see battery voltage displayed, press Up Arrow on your steering wheel once, then turn the key into position 2. You should now see precise oil level displayed.

Of course for the reading to be accurate, car needs to be on level ground and allow at least 5 minutes after turning off the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Technically that is the correct procedure to get the level from the sensor ,,but as I said ,,the level from the sensor in the pan is different to the replacement amount for an oil change.
If you fill up to get the replacement amount reading out from the display ,then you have overfilled the engine.
Eg ,,My car with replacement amount of 8.5 litres ,,,after filling with 8.5 litres the pan oil level sensor display will say 7.6 l when cold and 7.9 l when hot.
If I used that reading and added another 0.6 l then I would have added a total 9.1 litres ,,which is too much.
Do not overfill your engine.
Measure out exactly the correct replacement amount ,, pour it in ,,,and be done with it..

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
548 Posts
Technically that is the correct procedure to get the level from the sensor ,,but as I said ,,the level from the sensor in the pan is different to the replacement amount for an oil change.
If you fill up to get the replacement amount reading out from the display ,then you have overfilled the engine.
Eg ,,My car with replacement amount of 8.5 litres ,,,after filling with 8.5 litres the pan oil level sensor display will say 7.6 l when cold and 7.9 l when hot.
If I used that reading and added another 0.6 l then I would have added a total 9.1 litres ,,which is too much.
Do not overfill your engine.
Measure out exactly the correct replacement amount ,, pour it in ,,,and be done with it..
That's where common sense needs to be applied. You never drain, or (as I do) extract 100% of the old oil… so add accordingly.

My M112 takes 8.0 litters (8.5 quarts) of cold oil. After extracting old oil via vacuum pump I will add 8.0 quarts and check the level electronically. Then check it again when the oil is Hot and add whatever is needed to top it. Usually 0.2-0.3 qt max.

That said, I got tired of calculating and doing this in stages, so I ordered Shop Dipstick.

BTW: when I bought this car, from MB dealer… they did pre-sale service including oil change. Guess what the oil level dash display said… Reduce Oil Level.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Fair enough .
I think it is an often overlooked difference ...MB owner's manual says oil 'replacement' amount ,,not oil 'capacity'..which is a greater amount.
I believe MB engineers have allowed for this ,they know some oil stays in the engine even if thoroughly drained via the sump drain bolt.
Also about 0.5 l stays in the oil filter and housing etc.. so the oil pan sensor is only telling the amount in the pan, not the total amount that has been added.
That is also why I caution people not to just keep adding oil to get to the replacement amount on the display,,,or they will likely see the 'reduce oil level ' message.
Overfilling is quite common ,,also due to incomplete extraction via the dip tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts