Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small leak from one of the hydraulic fittings that connect the flexible hose to the Trunks Hydraulic pump body. I can see two of these on the side of the pump. Only one is leaking.

Does anyone know the size of the O-ring and torque that I need for a good hydraulic seal? :devil

I know the whole assembly is described as sealed but we also know it's not sealed as we can top off the reservoir etc. to fix trunk opening/closing issues.

W220 Moderator
Hi,

Just order a new pair of copper washers from MB, they will cost you buttons :wink

As for torque, do it up sensibly tight and if you still have a weep nip it up a bit more, in fact you could try nipping it up an 1/8 turn first, it may well cure the problem :wink

HTH,

Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave.

The trunk automatic opener has a been a pain for a while.

Specifically, the pump kept losing fluid and I thought the reservoir O-ring was the problem. I topped it up a few times, always a little hesitant as the tabs on the reservoir seemed like the should break after a few times. Seems like the real problem was elsewhere,

The cost of the Cu washers is not the issue, the issue is that I think dealer will only want to sell the complete system for a grand or so ? Anyway, I will just try tightening the existing one a a little and see what happens.

W220 Moderator
The cost of the Cu washers is not the issue, the issue is that I think dealer will only want to sell the complete system for a grand or so ?
I have just looked this up on Mercedes EPC, and you are quite correct, MB only list the whole Pump, Pipes and Ram Assy ...........

WTF :confused:

That beggars belief :rolleyes:

Hopefully nipping it will cure it, if not here is a few more options..........

Try and find a local friendly Mobile Hydraulic Hose Man with Van, the kind who go out on construction sites fixing Diggers etc on site........Let him have a look at it and he'll likely have the right sealing washer :wink

Go to "Harbour Freight" , "Walmart" or similar, and buy an assorted box or 2 of Copper Washers and Dowty Seals, and then hopefully there will be one in there suitable, I keep these "Assortments" in my workshop, if u were nearer I'd give you a few :wink

Take the washer off, and go to a Hydraulic Shop and they will likely have one :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave.

So far, your first suggestion of tightening the washer seems to have fixed the problem.
...cheapest and easiest. Lets see if it lasts.

I guess the good thing is that the pum has nice fresh fluid now.

W220 Moderator
So far, your first suggestion of tightening the washer seems to have fixed the problem.
...cheapest and easiest. Lets see if it lasts.
Hi,

Excellent news, yeah that should be fine now :wink

Thank you for taking the time to report the outcome, this really does help others when they are searching for info :wink

Cheers Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing