Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD, 1981 300TD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started with a drip drip drip... Car was running fine until I'd get low on coolant and overheat, but ran right on 80 - 82. So, realized the dripping was coming from a worn out water pump. Bought a Laso from Autohaus, installed it and although the leaking was going, now my car was running above 95.

I replaced the thermostat two times with no different results. Replaced the radiator cap, same results. Last item in the circle was the radiator. Today, I yanked the working and clear radiator from my "parts car" and put it in, alas, with the same results. It seems a bit cooler, maybe below 90 now.

So since all this extra heat started when I replaced the water pump, I can only guess that it is the water pump. It's such a simple part, I can't imagine what would make it not work properly...

Has anyone every gotten a "bad" water pump?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1985 300TD, 1981 300TD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There's one more piece of the puzzle that I forgot about. Temperature switch / sending unit. Going to replace that next and see if it changes anything.

From the reading I've done, going to go ahead and have the radiator flushed as well.

I'll report back my findings.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
How did you burp the air out or your cooling system? A bad (new) water pump would be unusual, a bad T-stat not so, oh did you place the T-stat arrow up?

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
Heres what I do too burp the cooling system. it helps to raise the front end of the car up, then disconnect the upper radiator hose at the radiator so you can pour the coolant directly down the hose into the engine. Turn the heater on full. Now disconnect the driver side heater hose at the fire wall and wire the end up. Now pour coolant in the elevated radiator hose till it overflows out the wired up heater hose. Now reconnect both hoses, start the car with the heater still on full and when the heater starts putting out heat she should be clear of air. top up the coolant and you should be set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts