Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-Hey!!!,
I have a 1985 300TDT and just put in a new motor. It is a 1984 sedan motor I think, and it does have the hydraulic pump for the rear suspension. It runs hot( to the next to last line on the gage, one past the 80), and replacing the thermostat has given me a new set of gage indications. This motor has the small steel line from the water pump to the head like is shown for '84 models. Is there any perscribed method for getting air from the system? The radiator is clean, so I don't think that's the trouble.
On last fire-up, I got no heat for a bit, then it lowered its expansion tank level and heat came on. I'm stumped. please help.
regards,
Douglas

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
1984 300 TDT Wagon

I had an '84 that ran hot. The mechanic tested the water temp after running and said it was a bad read. You may not be running as hot as you think. We did a temp guage swap, read hot again. I didn't worry about it. I had a new radiator installed and new thrmostat, so it remains a mystery. Buyer wrecked it in Maryland back in the spring!
[:0]

·
Registered
1985 300TD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Senders and gages

I have no idea where exactly the trouble is, but it is not the cooling system. On a small trip I took, temp gage reading over 100C, sometimes to the 120 mark, I found a Snap On man. Borrowed his laser temp pistol. Head bolt temp, 181 to 183 F progressing towards the rear of the motor. Thermostat housing output, 183 F, temp at input/recirculate 166 F. All athis whilst the gage is telling me it is about to vent fluid from biol over, HA! stupid gage!!I'll mess with that gage and sender later, for right now, it is running like a raped ape.
thanks
Douglas Piccard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.