Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for my ignorance but how do Mercedes (or any manufacture for that matter) "cooling" seats work.
I understand heated seats but is there really a true cooling seat?
AC plumbing in seats or just a fan blowing air?
Any info appreciated

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Mercedes calls their seats active ventilated and they consist of about 8 fans that suck air away from you and through some ports in the seat backs. I don't know how these work, but GM makes seats for their higher end models that are truly air conditioned.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
FWIW, I find they work best if you have your A/C on and step out of the car for a second while the AVS (ventilated seats) are turned on. Then the seats will feel cool when you sit on them again. But don't expect too much; the effect is minor imho.

Link me to the GM seats info! That's a new one on me. TIA.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but how do Mercedes (or any manufacture for that matter) "cooling" seats work.
I understand heated seats but is there really a true cooling seat?
AC plumbing in seats or just a fan blowing air?
Any info appreciated
There is such a thing as a true cooling seat. It uses thermoelectronic technology. Thermoelectronic technology relies upon the Peltier effect - a phenomenon first discovered in the early 19th century. The Peltier effect occurs whenever electrical current flows through two dissimilar conductors; depending on the direction of current flow, the junction of the two conductors will either absorb or release heat.

For automotive applications a thermolectronic unit is used in combination with a fan to blow cooled air into the seat.

I don't know if Mercedes uses this technology. I have only seen ventilated seats in Mercedes cars, which is nice, but not the same thing. I do know that this technology is used by General Motors in some of their new vehicles. Jaguar uses it also. There are probably others. If Mercedes doesn't use this technology now, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the near future.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
My Lexus IS350 has heated/cooled/ventilated leather seats, but I haven't studied them much. I was surprised at their effectiveness.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
^ I have heard that the Lexus seats are more effective.

^^ Thanks for the info about thermoelectronic cooling. I know they make small wine fridges using that technology, as well as many in-car drinks coolers etc. One major benefit with the wine fridges is that they are essentially silent!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts