Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a part number for a cooling system decal and was wondering if anybody knows what it is.

The one I am looking for is 1" x 3", with red lettering and reads, "Caution! Use Only Antifreeze/Coolant Designed to Protect Aluminum Parts (See Owner's Manual)", with the numbers 2155 in the bottom left corner, and the date 10/79 next to it. This label is on a 1989 560SL (radiator support) and a 1981 240D (fan shroud). Both labels are worn or torn, and hard to read, and between the two I got the above information. If there was a part number, it was either on the torn-off part or the worn-off part.

I have looked into the part number 124 584 56 26 as referred to by another Benz enthusiast and this is not the one I'm looking for. That label states, "Attention! High Pressure Cooling System. Open Only Below 194 F (90 C). Leave Off High Pressure At Notch No. 1. To Close Turn to Stop (Notch No. 2). Use Cover With No "120" only."

Anybody out there have any idea what the Mercedes part number would be?[:)]

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,231 Posts
I recall older labels are getting kinda hard to come by. The dealer used to be able to get them, but no longer is that the reported case. I did read of one enterprising owner who used a camera, and a printer service to replicate vinyl labels. Just an idea, if concours are not your goal. I bet it would fool all but the purist.

If you do find a source, please share as I am needing the yellow sticker on the breather. I grabbed a windshiled signature label earlier off of ebay for $5.00Us to use, should I ever have to replace my windscreen.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to tell you this, but I just bought the Diamler-Benz Product (115 584 06 40) window sticker from my local Mercedes dealer for $3.50. I believe the Mercedes-Benz Product (129 584 08 38) sticker is available too. They even had it in stock. I am actually checking into the air cleaner decal this week and will let you know the results. I've had one decal on order for several months but doubt it will show up. Others I've had good luck getting. And others have been available but don't look quite the same as the original. One parts guy from the dealership said that any decal or plate with the VIN is almost impossible to get, and you must contact Mercedes directly with proof of ownership before you have a chance of getting it. Luckily my local dealer has a couple real nice parts guys who are very willing to check on parts for me. And they appreciate the fact that I usually don't price parts without the intention to buy (if reasonably priced).

The decal I am looking for is unfortunately in too bad of shape to copy. Might be able to find one off a junked car to used as a pattern. The decal is so simple, probably could do it on MS Word though.

·
7,231 Posts
Thanks... Well, a buck-fifty. I've thrown away more certainly so I won't loose any sleep (but I am so cheap that it still bites). I am disappointed; however, in the dealer I contacted. I should have known ther was more to the story. The guys in montgomery are ridiculous (act too good to talk with you. did not even know what a 107 was, and were rude, etc. You know the type). Huntsville was a little more accomodating, but young (not too much knowledge about the old iron, as is the case I understand all over).

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your search!

I just looked at my window sticker... It was the products sticker (129-xxx etc), with Daimlers' signature.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
25 Posts
May I ask the reason why someone would be so worried about a worn sticker? So a future owner doesn't do the wrong thing, or?

Curious.

Actually more like worried about the condition of my stickers - I will have to check them at first light, or sooner with a flashlight if this issue ends up keeping me awake tonight.

·
7,231 Posts
"...Excellence in operations is the sum of all the small details, done right..." - Nelson Severinghaus et,al

Its all about the details...
With a ride as pristine as the one you recently bought, I would think you need not worry about loosing sleep. Perhaps I'm wrong... I'd be up at night guarding it!

·
Registered
1988 560SL
25 Posts
Ears - 4/10/2006 9:18 PM

"...Excellence in operations is the sum of all the small details, done right..." - Nelson Severinghaus et,al

Ah. OK. Now you are really setting the bar. Memo to self: add pics of stickers to the gallery to be posted here. Also I noticed your (ears') stable of Lexy, T'Bird and 107, will have to counter obviously. Stay tuned.

·
7,231 Posts
Thanks for viewing the gallery.

Alas, the lex, T-bird (and prowler,not shown) are not mine (hence the name, family album). My Dad-in-law is a motor-head, and has the where-with-all to indulge. I got some child-rearing to do before I start spending their inheritance.

[:D]

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ct560 - 4/10/2006 11:07 PM

May I ask the reason why someone would be so worried about a worn sticker? So a future owner doesn't do the wrong thing, or?
The way I look at it, there are three main groups of people. One group are people who buy cars to drive for everyday use or for the weekend, and who will trade for something different when they get tired of it. A second group buys cars for an investment and may spend thousands of dollars to make sure every nut and bolt is exactly as it "came from the factory". And then there are the people in-between who buy cars for the pure enjoyment of owning, driving, working on, and showing off their pride and joy (otherwise known as "Car Nuts"). I would be classified as in the third group. I guess there probably is another group who buy cars and run them into the ground, but we don't want to think about that.

You could say that Car Nuts have a passion, or is that an obsession, for their cars and work to make them better than when they bought them. Sure, a decal is a petty thing to be concerned about, but I take pride in the condition of my cars both outside, inside, and under the hood. Some decals are actually helpful for the current or future owner, such as for the tire pressure, spark plug gap, or Freon capacity.

I've heard somewhere the saying that we are just caretakers for these old cars, and we do what we can to maintain and fix them up so they can be passed along to the next owner, who will do the same. Korny ain't it.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
25 Posts
KCM - 4/11/2006 7:42 PM
You could say that Car Nuts have a passion, or is that an obsession, for their cars and work to make them better than when they bought them. Sure, a decal is a petty thing to be concerned about, but I take pride in the condition of my cars both outside, inside, and under the hood. Some decals are actually helpful for the current or future owner, such as for the tire pressure, spark plug gap, or Freon capacity.

I've heard somewhere the saying that we are just caretakers for these old cars, and we do what we can to maintain and fix them up so they can be passed along to the next owner, who will do the same. Korny ain't it.
This SL is my first old(ish) car. I have not developed the car nuttyness you refer to. But I do know of what you speak. I have restored old houses (my current is on the Natl Register) where I replaced wood with like wood (a very expensive proposition for some of it) even if it ended up being painted. I have had molding machined to match the existing, even if I could have bought a funtional replacement for a lot less $ and headache. I have never used materials or workmanship of lesser quality than originally went into the house. I've paid far more than I could have, and I've caused myself far more headaches. Maybe the onwer 100 years down the line will appreciate this. I hope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts