1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 320E sedan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1993 320E 3.2L.

I'm wanting to replace the coolant temperature sensor which is no big deal except for identifying which one it is. :D

At the thermostat housing there are 2 sensors.......a single pin and a double pin. I assume the single pin is for the temperature gauge but an not sure if the double pin sensor is the one I'm looking for because when I use my VIN and engine number to source a replacement part it shows up as a two pin sensor but the insulation part of the sensor is black (where mine is blue) and the insulation part looks a different shape.

Maybe I haven't located the right sensor.

Any clues guys?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,374 Posts
Actiually, there are 3 temp sensors on the t-stat housing/waterpump.

The single pin is for the dash gauge, the 2 pin is for the aux fans and the round one is for the ECU.

·
Registered
1993 320E sedan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sbaert

You certainly are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Mercs.

Now to find that round bugger. :D

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
You have not filled out your profile so we don't know exactly what engine you have, but if it's an M103, the temp sensor for the ECM is the one furthest back on the head. probably brass with a green plastic core.

·
Registered
1993 320E sedan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Savannahbenz

Yes......I must attend to my profile TY.

In this case I did state that my car was a 320E 3.2L which automatically makes it a M104 engine.

I have now located the said sensor thanks to sbaert it's on the water pump/thermostat housing and easily accessible (thank god).

Cheers mate

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
Hi Savannahbenz

Yes......I must attend to my profile TY.

In this case I did state that my car was a 320E 3.2L which automatically makes it a M104 engine.

I have now located the said sensor thanks to sbaert it's on the water pump/thermostat housing and easily accessible (thank god).

Cheers mate
Damn, It must be time for new glasses, I totally missed your opening statement about the engine size, sorry. ignore all that M103 stuff.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
What was wrong with sbaert's description in the second post?

·
Registered
17,374 Posts
My vehicle is 1995 C280 2.8l V6. Does anyone have the names for all three sensors? My car is not operable and I can't get it into a mercedes mechanic to locate and identify those sensors. The dealer keeps saying there is only one sensor on the water pump and to bring it in so they can take a look, for a charge of course. I just need to order them online. Thanks for any help.
Your car is a W202. Please post your questions in the appropriate forum.

Sensor location is the same as I posted in #2. Your car has 3 temp sensors, with at least 2 being on the pump and the last one being either on the pump or cylinder head.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
My vehicle is 1995 C280 2.8l V6. Does anyone have the names for all three sensors? My car is not operable and I can't get it into a mercedes mechanic to locate and identify those sensors. The dealer keeps saying there is only one sensor on the water pump and to bring it in so they can take a look, for a charge of course. I just need to order them online. Thanks for any help.
A 95 C280 should be a M104 2.8 liter I6, not a M112 V6

·
Registered
17,374 Posts
Sorry, but I just don't buy that excuse. If you look at the main forum page (see link) you'll notice that the forums are listed in the following 3 ways: by factory type designation Wxxx, class type (C, E, S, etc.) as well as the model years covered for that particular forum section plus example model designations.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts