Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
ML320 2002
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

After I drain the coolant from my ML320, can I refill the system by pouring the new coolant into the expansion reservior?

I haven't got a vacuum coolant filler tool and am hoping that being patient whilst filling the reservior will do the trick.

This is how it works on my other car.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,369 Posts
Hi

After I drain the coolant from my ML320, can I refill the system by pouring the new coolant into the expansion reservior?
Interesting question for me also, with a M112 engine.:) I checked my WIS for your model, and it states under 'Drain/Fill with coolant'.

Filling: Pour in coolant and bleed coolant system using the vacuum method - which it gives details of.

Vacuum filling was a modification to the WIS procedure in 10/04, so how the bleeding was achieved before then, I do not know.

If you have only drained your coolant at the radiator drain plug, I'm surprised that this bleeding is required. But if you have drained at the crankcase, the entire coolant will have gone, so this may be essential then to remove potential airlocks in the heater and a/c systems.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,880 Posts
The filling procedure is exactly the same as your other vehicle. Before you change the coolant, check to see that the Coolant Circulation Pump is working.

With the key in pos. #2 (engine not running) with your hand feel that the pump is running.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,880 Posts
Keyhole, I presume this system of bleeding was instituted so mechanics at the dealers wouldn't have to baby sit each and every vehicle that they filled. But with that said, it isn't feasible to own or get one of these bleeders .

When I said that it was the same as his other vehicle, I assumed he was referring to another vehicle he owned, in which he used the simple drain and pour method.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML320
355 Posts
FWIW I have always filled from the upper radiator hose and top up at the expansion tank after warming the engine.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,801 Posts
I have reverse flow cooling on track car engine and it has a special air bleeding cap I have
to remove when doing coolant and adding water wetter.
For the MLs I have never had a problem using the reservoir tank and pouring it in slowly.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies.

I should have mentioned the procedure for my other car:

a) After draining from the bottom radiator hose, open the bleeder screw near the thermostat on the side of the engine.

b) Slowly fill the coolant reservior until bubble free coolant come out of the bleeder hole. This can take some time so be patient. Shut the bleeder screw.

c) Start the engine and idle at 1500rpm whilst topping up the system. Continue until the cooling fan cuts in.

Do you know if there is bleeder valve on the ML?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,880 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I should have mentioned the procedure for my other car:

a) After draining from the bottom radiator hose, open the bleeder screw near the thermostat on the side of the engine.

b) Slowly fill the coolant reservior until bubble free coolant come out of the bleeder hole. This can take some time so be patient. Shut the bleeder screw.

c) Start the engine and idle at 1500rpm whilst topping up the system. Continue until the cooling fan cuts in.

Do you know if there is bleeder valve on the ML?

No there is not.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,860 Posts
What is your other car?

There is no bleeder on ML. No need for one. System bleeds itself. To speed up the process you can turn key on and off to activate auxiliary water pump.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
There's no bleed port on the coolant circuit, and none is needed. The coolant fill through the high-mounted reservoir works well. BMW could learn a lesson or two from the MB setup.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. :)

I live in a warm climate where it does not go below 7c (44F).

Do you recommend using anti freeze / corrosion of 50% or 33% ?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,880 Posts
Thanks. :)

I live in a warm climate where it does not go below 7c (44F).

Do you recommend using anti freeze / corrosion of 50% or 33% ?
Always 50-50. The purpose of anti-freeze has many more uses other than anti-freeze protection.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coolant Renewed Successfully

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for all the responses.

I disconnected the bottom radiator hose, and drained all the coolant.

I disconnected the top radiator hose and flushed with clean water.

I also poured clean water from the expansion tank to also flush the system.

The new coolant took some time to top up the 10 litres but it did eventually!!

All good now.

Thanks

:)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,369 Posts
Well done...:)

Proof of total success here is when the heater and a/c system is also working correctly, i.e., no air lock in there.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
I think I remember that back in the days you had to turn on the heating on the car to get all the fluid through the system. Does this still apply to the newer cars (i.e ML)?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,801 Posts
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for all the responses.

I disconnected the bottom radiator hose, and drained all the coolant.

I disconnected the top radiator hose and flushed with clean water.

I also poured clean water from the expansion tank to also flush the system.

The new coolant took some time to top up the 10 litres but it did eventually!!

All good now.

Thanks

:)
When you filled it did you use distilled water or just tap water?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts