Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 2007 S550 in for a B service at my local dealer... I picked up the car the next morning and then drove to work... Later that afternoon I started the car to head home and had the following error message come up "Engine Coolant Low, Refill now"... Took the car back to the dealer that afternoon and indeed my coolant was low (although the car had just been serviced the prior day)... Service Advisor topped off the coolant and asked me to monitor the situation... Within 3 three weeks the intermittent error returned...

And now the punchline...

I dropped off my car to the MBZ dealer today to get the error checked out... Service Advisor indicated that they would check for leak, HOWEVER, a bigger issue may be brewing... Evidently a service bulletin has recently been issued regarding "porous" pistons (i.e. defective) in the S550, which cause leakage in the engine block... According to him, the only fix at this point is to REPLACE the entire engine...

Has anyone heard of or experienced this issue? What should questions should I be asking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
drive it until there is a major problem and not worry about it.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
I had a look at some Euro info and this is the only thing related to coolant leak I was able to find. The OP talking about "pistons leaking coolant" was a bit odd, I believe he meant something else.

The fix as can be seen is not a new engine, looks like the dealer is not well up-to-date with this issue. Quite an unfortunate case anway.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I had a look at some Euro info and this is the only thing related to coolant leak I was able to find. The OP talking about "pistons leaking coolant" was a bit odd, I believe he meant something else.

The fix as can be seen is not a new engine, looks like the dealer is not well up-to-date with this issue. Quite an unfortunate case anway.
It could be that MB meant they would insert steel sleeves during the production process of new engines. So the dealer may be correct and have to replace the old engine with one of the new design. Just my thinking.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
It could be that MB meant they would insert steel sleeves during the production process of new engines. So the dealer may be correct and have to replace the old engine with one of the new design. Just my thinking.
True, an issue like this could well be too difficult to be fixed at a workshop but I think I saw some documents that explain how the issue is fixed instead of an engine swap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a status update on the repair work to date...

Next Monday will be two weeks in the shop and the car is finally ready...

According to my SA, the first model year of the new S550 has a problem with the engine casting surrounding the cylinders... According to him, the casting is either defective or wasn't to spec, and as a result, engine coolant evaporates somewhere into the engine block... After a certain period of time, enough coolant evaporates and causes the low coolant warning message on the dashboard... In my case, my S550 had 25,000 miles and I had just completed the "B" service when the problem started to occur...

Evidently this engine defect was discovered after 17,000 cars rolled off the production line... The casting problem was resolved by the 2008 model year...

The fix for the problem is to disassemble the entire engine and insert small metal sleeves (that had to be send via Fedex from Germany) into the coolant ducts surrounding the cylinders... This supposedly fixes the problem, although, my SA didn't sound 100% convinced...

Bottomline, if you have one of the first 17,000 new model S550s you need to watch out for this problem and make sure your service dept is aware of this engine defect and how to resolve it...

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,314 Posts
Here's a status update on the repair work to date...

Next Monday will be two weeks in the shop and the car is finally ready...

According to my SA, the first model year of the new S550 has a problem with the engine casting surrounding the cylinders... According to him, the casting is either defective or wasn't to spec, and as a result, engine coolant evaporates somewhere into the engine block... After a certain period of time, enough coolant evaporates and causes the low coolant warning message on the dashboard... In my case, my S550 had 25,000 miles and I had just completed the "B" service when the problem started to occur...

Evidently this engine defect was discovered after 17,000 cars rolled off the production line... The casting problem was resolved by the 2008 model year...

The fix for the problem is to disassemble the entire engine and insert small metal sleeves (that had to be send via Fedex from Germany) into the coolant ducts surrounding the cylinders... This supposedly fixes the problem, although, my SA didn't sound 100% convinced...

Bottomline, if you have one of the first 17,000 new model S550s you need to watch out for this problem and make sure your service dept is aware of this engine defect and how to resolve it...
MB released a bulletin MAR09 , follow link attached previously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts