Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Coolant Problem

1157 Views 8 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
I have noticed an increased ammount of coolant loss. There's coolant being left in the driveway, and when I checked it today there was very little to none in the resevoir. I added some and what's in there now is close to black color. What's your guys' diagnosis and what should I do? Just take it to merc and have them do everything and anything that it needs?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no residue around the cap. It's comming from the front near the resevoir, but closer to the headlight. I can't tell exactly, from the bottom it just seems to be dripping from lots of places. I really need to take her in and just get it all worked on. With my coolant turning black like that I am lead to believe that there is oil getting into the coolant system, so I would guess that I need a new head gasket or get it fixed. I also will get the coolant system completely checked out and all new hozes and what not.<br> <br> Oh yeah, I just noticed that there is a downshift button under the accelerator. Now the car isn't AS slow as I thought before. :)

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the coolant would be coming out of the drip hose, not the cap (look closely at the set up around the reservoir).<br> <br> And no, the car IS as slow as always, you just got used to it (you need good tires from tirerack to corner at higher speeds).

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the coolant isn't comming from the resevoir area. It's closer to the headlights like I said. There's something (that I am guessing is an electronically controlled valve) that is by itself with hozes and wires going to it that has fluid around it. This maybe the culprit. When I look under the car there is coolant on the very front plastic piece that is under the bumper. I haven't checked the coolant level today, but my temp didn't go near the danger zone so I'm not 'in trouble' yet. I'm taking it in as soon as possible.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, the plastic piece covers access to the radiator draining valve. So, either your lower hose is leaking, or the radiator itself. my 190 was running hot (around 110C) at about 65mph with the heater OFF, so I replaced the radiator and it stopped. The replacement radiator was made by Nissen (I think I got it from thebenzbin) in denmark and wa sabout $200. so if it's a radiator it won't be a big deal.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I am guessing that a new radiator is fairly easy to install. It seems like it'd be pretty straight forward. I am not positive, but I think that squeaky squeal under the hood stopped. This maybe due to my coolant loss, if it is the water pump that is squealing like that. It seems kinda ironic that at the same time I am loosing coolant and the squeal isn't noticable anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.