Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Vito van 110 T reg 1999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this might be a long story but I would like you to have all the info.
My t reg 110cdi vito van blow a water hose a while ago, after this being repair my van now loses water. After a 45/30min drive the water light comes on and I need to top up the expansion tank. I have had a new water pump fitted, pressure tested the engine and hydrocarbon testing but no faults found. Heater works fine (all be it stuck on hot but like this since I brought it) I have also put in steel seal fluid before test to try and fix possible head gasket fault. Local Garage are at a lose, any thoughts would be great.

Mark

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
Try getting hot on the drive with the cap OFF, try this from cold, don't open it hot!
and topping it as it goes down with coolant, not just water, get the fans on and off a couple of times, then fit the cap and go for a drive.

You could do with sorting the heater as well.

·
Registered
Vito van 110 T reg 1999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I tried this once the temp went up to 90 and the fan came on a couple of times. When I then stopped and topped up coolant the van wouldn't start again until cooled down just kept turning over and not firing. The heater as been broke since I brought the van 9 months ago this problem only started after the hose blow. But I know I need to fix it.

I have run the van for 2 hours outside the house on tick over with no problems.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
So you go it to 90 deg with the cap off?
Have you looked at the oil for water?
What did you do when the hose went?
What is the milage?
Has the rad core been looked at?

·
Registered
Vito van 110 T reg 1999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the engine reached 90 with the cap off.
The engine oil is lovely and clean no water in there.
When the hose blow lost all water and pulled over and called the AA, who repaired the hose enough to get me home.
Engine has never overheated.
Rad and coolant system was flushed out before steel seal put in, other than that not sure on rad core.

Where would the water be going though no signs of leaks under van.
Was told maybe an exhaust manifold gasket.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It will be evaporating, you need to get the grill of and look at the rad, look also inside for wet, the heater matrix is another to look at, next to that a cylinder in the engine, or a cylinder head, look for steam in the exhaust, or just the gasket on the water jacket side, engine core plug, could be any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts