Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange problem guys,

I topped up the car with coolant the other day, then all of a sudden I've got a leak comming from the RHS of the car looks like the bottom of the radiator. Anyway the symptoms are as follows:

Day one: (hot day)

Top off coolant
go driving
come back notice small leak (about the size 1/4 of a cup spilling onto the ground)

Day two: (not so hot)
go driving
come back no leak

Day three: (pretty hot)
go driving
come back with leak

The leak goes for about oh 15 odd mins then just seems to stop :confused: expansion tank is pretty full perhaps t0o full.

Have I overfilled the tank and as a result caused either an overflow or damage to a hose or something? OR do have have a radiator issue.

Water pump was replaced at the start of 2006.

Car is booked for servicing on Thursday, I can walk everywhere so I can avoid driving if I have to.

Thanks for the help guys,

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Sounds like too much of a coincidence to me. Did you double-check your coolant level?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It might be a good idea to drain some out then. Take it to about the middle of the reservoir and see if it still leaks. I tried to find a reference for the proper level on alldata (NOdata?) but they don't list one. Just total cooling system capacity.

Of course, you could always just let it go for a while and the problem will eventually cure itself once enough coolant leaks out.:D

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
If you open the expansion tank cap and look down inside you should see a plastic section and it runs up to about half way on the tank, that is the level indicator. If you cant see it then there is too much coolant inside. Drain some coolant off until you can see the white platic level.

There are too small grills in your bumper, remove the one on the right and behind it you will find the radiator drain plug.

If you have over-filled it then damage may occur so look at this soon;)

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you open the expansion tank cap and look down inside you should see a plastic section and it runs up to about half way on the tank, that is the level indicator. If you cant see it then there is too much coolant inside. Drain some coolant off until you can see the white platic level.

There are too small grills in your bumper, remove the one on the right and behind it you will find the radiator drain plug.

If you have over-filled it then damage may occur so look at this soon;)
Thanks will do I have a spare drain plug too just in case I ever had to do this...what a boy scout. :D

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Was the level low to begin with? I had a BMW 735i that started losing coolant then when I refilled to the line it would burp coolant after the next drive. Turns out the head gasket was bad and exhaust gases were pushing the coolant out the reserve tank.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was the level low to begin with? I had a BMW 735i that started losing coolant then when I refilled to the line it would burp coolant after the next drive. Turns out the head gasket was bad and exhaust gases were pushing the coolant out the reserve tank.
No, it wasn't really low I just thought I better top it up as it's been very hot here. Hmmm, I hope it's not the head gasket....but given the tendency of the M104 ya never know. I'm getting it looked at Thursday so I'll report back then. But any other imput is welcomed. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Your problem may not be a serious problem. Your pressure cap may need attention. You keep over filling the reserve tank and it spews out through the pressure cap. These are 20PSI caps, which is quite a bit higher than most cars. It's a $6 item at any parts store. The "leaking" you are experiencing may just be the overflow bucket. Once the roughly 1 gallon container is full, it starts leaking out the top of the tank and all over the place--right where you describe yours to be leaking. The tank is hidden behind the front fender under the right headlight. You cannot see it. And you cannot empty it. You have to syphon it out from behind the front right wheel. It's an odd design for certain. The engineers at MB must have been so confident about no excess capacity leaks that they didn't put in a drain plug. Use a small diameter hose to drain out as much as you can.

Good luck...

·
Registered
167 Posts
im wondering if maybe when you added coolant it may have got a air lock in it? just a thought as ive had that issue in a couple of cars ive owned....

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys, it's a great help. I'll see what the mechanic finds seeing as it's going to him for servicing anyway he's the one with the hoist he might as well look.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your Air con drain ? they get routed/find various ways to ground...
Righto, can you explain more? You mean like the core is leaking or the coolant lines that run around it are? I guess that would make sense as it was only on hotter days and when the car was warm.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
No the matrix for the aircon condenses the water from the air to give you dry cold air inside.. .. when you stop the water runs out of it and you see it.. when you drive.. you dont.. best way to tell is the tast test.. with car cold.. dip finger into coolant and place on tounge..Do not over do it.. it will make you sick.. then when you park up.. taste water from under car.. Do not make habbit of this.. It will get you locked up..

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No the matrix for the aircon condenses the water from the air to give you dry cold air inside.. .. when you stop the water runs out of it and you see it.. when you drive.. you dont.. best way to tell is the tast test.. with car cold.. dip finger into coolant and place on tounge..Do not over do it.. it will make you sick.. then when you park up.. taste water from under car.. Do not make habbit of this.. It will get you locked up..
Oh I see what your getting at, nah it's not the AC the coolant is green (yes I know not MB) and thats what comming out of the car. I've seen that puddle of water before from the AC core. Coolant also has a smell so you don't have to taste it. :p

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have the car at the mechanics this morning he also has a very nice 500SEC W126 and Aston Martin DB7 there getting work done and also a BMW 850i Drool.

Anyway he took a look at it, (just to clarify it's the RHS looking into the engine bay) Hey said that being the "hot" side of the radiator he was pretty sure it was one of 3 things:

1. A leak in a hose

2. The radiator itself

3. The seals in the outflow of the radiator itself I think.

He said he will pressure test and get back to me.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
all 3 dont sound to expensive to repair... always a bonus :D with the other rides you listed... sounds like your baby is in good hands :D
Yeah I often enjoy going there to see the cars lol. Mines not back yet as he quite often has alot of work on so some things can take a few days, I'm not too worried though I don't need the car at the moment.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys, update: It's the seals on the hotside they pressure tested the system and at first thought it was the clamp which was old and rusted and on the wrong way so they put on a new clamp but it's the seals so they will replace about $180 for the whole job.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys....bad news. They took the radiator out to replace the seals and opening it up they found that the core was bad. So looking like a new radiator is in order. I asked about the possibility of re-coring but my mechanic wasn't too keen on the idea so a new one it is. That being said the cost of the seals was about half the cost of the radiator and the labour is less with a new one so it works out once it's all done being slightly more exspensive if I'd known that I would have just replaced the whole thing anyway. Worst part is now I have to wait for the new one to come in so I still have no car. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts