Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 GES - 1989
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that read my last post about a significant oil leak, I have since found that it is actually a coolant leak [:I] (BTW it's a 280GE 1989 manual)

Coolant is leaking from the front of the engine and ending up dripping from the front of the oil pan (hence I thought it was oil)

Strange thing is that on both occasions, the coolant has begun leaking some 12-24 hours after the engine has ben running. I topped up the radiator tonight and it definately leaked a lot quicker immediately after.

I can not see any sign of water anywhere above the oil pan due to stuff in the way, but it appears to drip down the front of the oil pan and would suggest it is coming from the centre front of the engine, possibly around where the fan is.

I have decided not to use it until sorted as I dont want to cause any more damage, but I am at the end of my patience with fixing this car (and money) and am considering getting rid of it.

Any ideas before it goes on eBay????

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
Water Pump/Water Pump Seal

They go bad with time. How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Water pump change. not too bad a job on a 280 manual.
remove rad and belts crank pulley and damper,while you have the rad out recore it.
Total time 2 hrs. pump cost £35-00 UK, rad recore £85-00 UK
Whilst you have it all out get your alternator rebuilt and save taking it all out again in a month or two when the alternator fail light comes on.

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
evista - 4/5/2005 4:25 PM

I have decided not to use it until sorted as I dont want to cause any more damage, but I am at the end of my patience with fixing this car (and money) and am considering getting rid of it.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
Located in the UK - Probably London

cashieu - 4/5/2005 7:38 PM

evista - 4/5/2005 4:25 PM

Where are you located?

·
Registered
280 GES - 1989
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

thanks for the updates - I have now updated my profile - I am in London.

You all seem to be pretty certain about the water pump so I will check on my manuals and see what sort of job it is.

As for mileage, it's done either 150,000 miles

Funny, I have a Golf TDi and the water pump went at the weekend so I have 2 of them to do.[:(]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
UK Gwagen Owners Club

evista - 4/6/2005 7:17 AM

Hi,

thanks for the updates - I have now updated my profile - I am in London.
You are lucky to have a very strong Gwagen Owners club in the UK. I'm sure that someone there can give you some hands on assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts