Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C200 Kompressor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I have problem with the coolant level indicator in my Benz. The warning light of the coolant level- "check coolant level" goes on. I checked the coolant level in the cold condition of the engine infact the outside temp was -3 degrees.
After driving for a few minutes and shutting off the engine and restarting it, the problem is gone.

did anybody else experience this kind of problem, should I rely on the computer indicationof the coolant level in the hot conditions or cold conditions of the engine? any feedback on this is welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Kris

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
if you know that the coolant level is ok i would just ignore it.... but then again it doesnt hurt to invest on the coolant level sensor (you couold go to junkyards too to check if you could get a used one)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C200 Kompressor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wichipong for the reply, I took the car to the mechanic and he saw that the coolant is frozen and after driving the car for few minutes its again in the liquid state. He added some antifreeze and now the problem is gone. Hoepfully I will not have the problem again.:)

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Thanks Wichipong for the reply, I took the car to the mechanic and he saw that the coolant is frozen and after driving the car for few minutes its again in the liquid state. He added some antifreeze and now the problem is gone. Hoepfully I will not have the problem again.:)
Sounds like someone added only water water or in the wrong ratio at least. I would suggest flushing all the old stuff out and replenishing with the proper ratio, 50/50 I believe, coolant to water. The water should not be from the tap as minerals can compromise your cooling efficiency. Mercedes provides pre-mixed coolant btw.

My concern would be why is there too much water? The previous owner could have had an overheated engine and did this in an emergency fix on the roadside. Check also for signs of a blown head gasket, oil seeping, just to be sure. Don't mean to scare you, just considering all the possibilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts