Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
i can't help but wonder how you'd know it's corroded if you couldn't find it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
1. There are no abnormal temperature readings.
2. The fans never go on during the winter.
3. There's more than enough coolant in the expansion tank
4. i was told it was corroded when I had the car serviced.

:D
The coolant level sensor is located on the coolant expansion tank, on the lower part, heading to the front of thar car.

My C124's sensor was malfunctioning and I had to replace it... there just wasnt any magnetic effect on the open/closed signal.

Really easy to replace. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
good day sir, i tried to replace mine but the thing wouldnt budge out of its place and im afraid to crack the bottle while trying to force it out, any tips on getting this thing out without damaging the reservoir? i already cracked the plastic sensor terminal so im afraid to do more damage on this area.

·
Registered
587 Posts
good day sir, i tried to replace mine but the thing wouldnt budge out of its place and im afraid to crack the bottle while trying to force it out, any tips on getting this thing out without damaging the reservoir? i already cracked the plastic sensor terminal so im afraid to do more damage on this area.
Did you remove the "circlip" / metallic ring that holds the sensor in place?

This is the sensor I'm reffering to:

That sits in place due to a metallic ring like this one:

After removing the clip, it should just slide out... the o-ring could be the reason of difficult removal.

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you remove the "circlip" / metallic ring that holds the sensor in place?

This is the sensor I'm reffering to:

That sits in place due to a metallic ring like this one:

After removing the clip, it should just slide out... the o-ring could be the reason of difficult removal.

Hope it helps...

Thanks for this very helfpful post Miguel, i havent done it yet since it was the mrs birthday last weekend, i will do it this weekend together with the leaking radiator overflow hose going into the bottle. I will post any update after.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There's no need to replace all of your coolant if you're just replacing the level sensor. I have these big syringes to do this sort of thing, but you could just use a turkey baster to remove the fluid in the tank. Then just refill with the proper mix.
I suppose now is as good as any time to check the condition of your coolant (which can be done with a conductivity meter or a pH meter if you have one) and replace it all if necessary. Or if it's been a few years just purge and replace it as a matter of course.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just found this post. I removed all of the coolant, but couldn't get the connector off or the metal ring. Is there a special way to remove the metal clip that holds the connector in place? I don't want to break the connector either

·
W124 Moderator
12,605 Posts
You need to go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tools (or any auto parts store) and purchase a clip ring set of pliers. Make sure you get a set that has interchangable right angle nibs. Remove the clip, get a pair of needle nose pliers, grab on to the flat portion of the sensor and gentley wiggle, turn and pull out . The sensor only goes in one way as the top and bottom "notches" are different sizes. This little trick prevents the sensor from being installed upside down. As mentioned before, the O ring will be the resistance you encounter. Should take all of 15 to 20 min. to do. Work fast and you'll hardly lose any fluid.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
1. There are no abnormal temperature readings.
2. The fans never go on during the winter.
3. There's more than enough coolant in the expansion tank
4. i was told it was corroded when I had the car serviced.

:D
Buy a new sensor...using a turkey basting syringe, pull all the coolant out of the reservoir tank, remove the keeper ring and replace sensor....if the coolant is new, pour back in. Just did this myself and most probably the continual coating of monkey pooh on it (from the days of the bad head gasket), did it in.

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts