Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Coolant level is running down! W203 C230 Sport 2007

629 4
Hello! I have a W203 C230 Sport 2007 in the Middle East.

I noticed that the water level in the reservoir tank was running low!
Last week (10 days ago) I checked the level and needed to add a small glass of water. Yesterday I checked again and I needed to add 1 liter of water!!!

What could be the problem? Please help me. What I know is that the water level should never go down!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
25,216 Posts
You have a coolant leak. It could be the radiator, the coolant reservoir, the water pump, the oil cooker or a head gasket. You will have to find the leak.

· Registered
2007 C280 1999 E430 1960 220S
69 Posts
Also check your floor mats and carpet. Sometimes the heater core breaks and coolant leaks into the car...you would likely smell anti-freeze, but that depends on your sense of smell and if you are using water as a coolant, then you're not going to smell anything. As a tip, don't use tap water, it has too many dissolved solids (minerals) that will develop scale on the inside of your engine. Even when mixing coolant and water, only use distilled, or reverse-osmosis/denatured water.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ahmad,

I am fairly new to the world of MB, but have plenty of experience from other makes. Your symptoms sound like a possible head gasket from your other post.

I may be incorrect, but based on fuel consumption, hard starting and you losing coolant so fast it seems likely. To verify this, you can do some more simple checks, such as draining your oil and seeing if there is any coolant in there.

If you don't have any coolant inside the drained oil, then you may be able to eliminate a headgasket issue. Of course I would do this check after you look for obvious leaks like the hoses, heater core, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts