Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you have heard about this issue "ad naseum", however, I still cannot figure out what is going on with these two lights being on at the same time. It seems to me that there must be a common "sensor" for these two lights otherwise they would not come on at the same time and not able to re-set them. I do not feel comfortable "shorting out" the plugs to see if that specific light goes out. I was thinking about changing the level sensors on both to see if this would solve the issue, until - in another forum, someone mentioned that there was a sensor that was common to these two level sensors and that it was located under the front bumper cowling. Was this person referring to the outside temperature sensor? I have looked in the EPC and I cannot find any such sensor attached to the wiring harness for both of these two sending units. Would any one of you guys be able to help me on this? Would be greatly appreciated. 1999 S500.

Thanks!!

Joey.-

·
Registered
310 Posts
I know that you have heard about this issue "ad naseum", however, I still cannot figure out what is going on with these two lights being on at the same time. It seems to me that there must be a common "sensor" for these two lights otherwise they would not come on at the same time and not able to re-set them. I do not feel comfortable "shorting out" the plugs to see if that specific light goes out. I was thinking about changing the level sensors on both to see if this would solve the issue, until - in another forum, someone mentioned that there was a sensor that was common to these two level sensors and that it was located under the front bumper cowling. Was this person referring to the outside temperature sensor? I have looked in the EPC and I cannot find any such sensor attached to the wiring harness for both of these two sending units. Would any one of you guys be able to help me on this? Would be greatly appreciated. 1999 S500.

Thanks!!

Joey.-
There have been other threads dealing with this.

When the circuit fails, the default is both lights on.

Found the links from the 210 forum

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1475928-coolant-level-indicator-lamp.html

=======================================================================
author is loubapache
Sometimes, the low coolant warning light can come on when the washer fluid level sensor fails. The two sensors are in series and Mercedes uses a very complicated way to detect which level is low.

The washer fluid level sensor is very easy to check. It should measure around 170 Ohms.

If that is OK, check the coolant level sensor and it should measure around 110 ohms.

If both are OK, then tap the coolant recovery tank or push the bumper on that side up and down a few times. The floater ring could have been stuck in the lower position.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ml#post3468758
=====================================================================================

1 - 2 of 2 Posts