Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1991 560 SEL for a drive yesterday. I recently purchased it so I am new to this. I noticed the radiator indicator going off every now and then. The Temp gauge was jumping from 80 to 100. I took a picture of the plastic reservoir connected to the radiator and I would like to know if the coolant level is okay or not

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
no, it is low and it is GREEN! Consider a flush asap and use Zerex only. About 17 bucks a gallon but much better. Your bottle looks new, and so does the sensor. Towards the forward section, about even with the supply nipple you should see a fill line. Get rid of that green stuff if you want to preserve your parts, especially with the summer coming. Dont trust this to the PO, take care of it yourself and you will know for sure its done. Zerex G07 is in a brown bottle and it is amber or brown color.

·
W123 Moderator
78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
797 Posts
NEW MB Coolant is blue

The coolant looks blue to me.

I just got new coolant from the dealer and its now blue not clear.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
it looked green on my other PC at 330am ROFL but on this pc, it looks blue. Green fluid viewed thru white plastic may be blue, who can tell. He has a new bottle and new hoses and sensor, thats for sure.

·
Registered
91 560SEC Beryl/Palomino 91 420SEL Black Pearl/Mushroom 89 420SEL Ice Blue/Navy 88 420SEL 94 E320
801 Posts
Yeah don't you just love it?

The parts guy said it is the same as BMW's anti, except more expensive at the MB dealer. He found me 4 gallons of the gold stuff.

It used to be a quick look to see the gold and if the PO knew what he was maintaining.

The coolant looks blue to me.

I just got new coolant from the dealer and its now blue not clear.

·
Registered
a
154 Posts
What is that electrical connection at the bottom half of the tank (right at the green line)? Whatever it is, mine is missing. You can tell by looking at mine that something is supposed to be there, but I can't locate the connector. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
What is that electrical connection at the bottom half of the tank (right at the green line)? Whatever it is, mine is missing. You can tell by looking at mine that something is supposed to be there, but I can't locate the connector. Thanks!
That is one of the coolant sensors. I believe that one tells you your level, the one on the t-stadt gives you temperature. This all gets fed back to the cluster.

·
Registered
a
154 Posts
That is one of the coolant sensors. I believe that one tells you your level, the one on the t-stadt gives you temperature. This all gets fed back to the cluster.
Thanks. Just returned from the garaged. After locating the hidden connector, I discovered why it wasn't connected: Plugging it in causes the dash coolant level light to illuminate, even though there is ample coolant. The guy I bought it from must have removed it to make the sale. He also told me that it was serviced at the local Mercedes dealer, which I later found out is not true. I'm going to have to research this one. Any ideas why it would illuminate? The coolant level is actually slightly above the recommended level. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
Bad sensor perhaps. They are cheap, perhaps you could just remove the bulb from the cluster,,,,ha. Buy a new sensor, not expensive.

·
Registered
Euro 1990 300SEL
7 Posts
Thanks. Just returned from the garaged. After locating the hidden connector, I discovered why it wasn't connected: Plugging it in causes the dash coolant level light to illuminate, even though there is ample coolant. The guy I bought it from must have removed it to make the sale. He also told me that it was serviced at the local Mercedes dealer, which I later found out is not true. I'm going to have to research this one. Any ideas why it would illuminate? The coolant level is actually slightly above the recommended level. Cheers.
This is a bit late but worth to know for the future: the sensor is easy to remove and clean. Mine had the "metal" part full of crap. Cleaned it and all goes fine now (did it 2 years ago). The only tool needed is expander pliers for the ring.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
3,978 Posts
I took my 1991 560 SEL for a drive yesterday. I recently purchased it so I am new to this. I noticed the radiator indicator going off every now and then. The Temp gauge was jumping from 80 to 100. I took a picture of the plastic reservoir connected to the radiator and I would like to know if the coolant level is okay or not

Cheers
Hi there,

Cast into the top half of the reservoir there is an arrow that points to the proper coolant level which is roughly the top/bottom half manufacturing seam.

Here's a pic of mine just now, with the aforementioned 'new' Mercedes coolant [blue] in a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

I would expect the dash 'low coolant' warning light to show intermittently with this level of coolant in the resevoir.

Enjoy your ride..

MBL
IMG_4664.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts