Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am Danish, my English is not that great in writing, so I hope that some one will answer me even though I am Danish [:)]

The problem is that I am loosing about 1 litre of coolant for every 1000 km
The sparkplugs looks fine, not white stuff on them. There is no coolant leaking from what I can see, at least nothing to see underneath the car. The exhaust looks fine, no white smoke coming. The oil is nice and clean.
The floor in the car is dry, the frontwindow is not greesed from a leaking colant system.

As you can see I have a problem, and I am lost now, I have no idea what it is. If anyone has an idea about this then please reply, I am getting more and more desperate!

K. Fab

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
Try changing the cap. If it is defective vapor will come out without leaving a trace.
And test the system for leaking. 1L every 1000Km means very slow leak that could be easily missed.
And welcome to the forum.[:)]

·
Registered
96' E320
307 Posts
This may not be your problem at all but you can check it out for yourself. My cars water pump perge valve has gone bad which is causing engine coolant to leak out. The valve is located at the back of the pump so when the coolant leaks out the liquid may be evaporating off the motor quickly enough so that you would not see anything. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sandro,

I am trying the new cap at the moment.
I have ordered a engine cleaning, so that it will be easier to see any fluid coming out.

If the cap solves it then GREAT! I actually fitted it today, so I live in the hope, if not the next thing will be to get underneath the engine for my self and have a look at it.

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,
K.Fab

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[:(] Nope it did not solve the problem.....

I have noticed that the engine "tiks" when getting started, which I believe it the hydraulic lifters, I wonder if they are loosing pressure because a potential faulty head gasket??

Man it is a shame to open up a engine without knowing if it will help on the problem [:(]

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,020 Posts
Head gasket may still be the problem, eg hairline fracture. Coolant may still leak and burn off, but there may not be enough to cause clearly visible exhaust. Have someone pressurize the system and check the pressure readings - called "leakdown test".

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
slambert - 6/10/2005 3:35 PM

[:(] Nope it did not solve the problem.....

I have noticed that the engine "tiks" when getting started, which I believe it the hydraulic lifters, I wonder if they are loosing pressure because a potential faulty head gasket??

Man it is a shame to open up a engine without knowing if it will help on the problem [:(]
Lifters ticking not necesarily means head gasket.
In fact could be more easily clogged plastic oil tubes.
Does your motor consumes oil? Yes? Valve seals?
Do you have oil emulsified in coolant? Or coolant in oil? If so head gasket could be the culprit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts