Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll have to remove and replace that elbow piece, connecting radiator return hose with reservoir (leaking O-ring). Somewhat risky surgery on 19-year old radiator. I will need to remove upper hose and "patient" may or may not survive, always a possibility of a broken neck…

I don't have replacement radiator on hand, just in case, so I surveyed my options… I can get CSF next day… genuine MB or liland would take several days to deliver.

Any opinions about quality of this R129 specific from CSF?

https://csfrace.com/csf-cools-the-modern-classic-sl500-mercedes/

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'll have to remove and replace that elbow piece, connecting radiator return hose with reservoir (leaking O-ring). Somewhat risky surgery on 19-year old radiator. I will need to remove upper hose and "patient" may or may not survive, always a possibility of a broken neck…

I don't have replacement radiator on hand, just in case, so I surveyed my options… I can get CSF next day… genuine MB or liland would take several days to deliver.

Any opinions about quality of this R129 specific from CSF?

https://csfrace.com/csf-cools-the-modern-classic-sl500-mercedes/
I have no problem with the Liland and the CSF I'm sure is just as good. So the price is the only factor with me. If I were you I'd pressure check the radiator first as you may already have a hair line in the upper neck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If I were you I'd pressure check the radiator first as you may already have a hair line in the upper neck.
I decided to fix the obvious problem first, happy to report my radiator is still in one piece. I was actually surprised to see that upper neck on this radiator is reinforced with metal tubing.

Removing old elbow didn't go as planed, while I was trying to squeeze bottom part from inside to release it… it just fell apart and I wasn't able to catch the pieces. Everything below the o-ring fell down so RIP, I hope, and don't interfere with the flow. If I were to do it again I would put a spoon or something to catch and just break it off. The plastic was so brittle…

I can't see any cracks around the neck, no coolant residue… I will pressure test this weekend to make sure but, it looks like this radiator is still OK.

DSC4556.jpg DSC4561.jpg

·
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I dont get to wrench on my car much lately, decided to just bring it to my indi and he replaced it for free. Not worth the invoicing on it I guess. May need to look into those alum radiators

·
Registered
937 Posts
Some have fitted a lorry tire extension valve because this little plastic ellbow gets knocked about while you work under the hood on the engine. Those i have see fitted you can purchase with 2 rubber seals and a nut on the bottom .Or even a cycle tire valve will do the same job .

·
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some have fitted a lorry tire extension valve because this little plastic ellbow gets knocked about while you work under the hood on the engine. Those i have see fitted you can purchase with 2 rubber seals and a nut on the bottom .Or even a cycle tire valve will do the same job .
There is a big long plastic cover that goes on top of the radiator that covers not only the elbow but most of the tubing. Thats probably why they made that cover to begin with

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,140 Posts
Regardless of cover or not... plastic soaked in antifreeze for years will harden and eventually fail. This includes rad tanks and necks. Well maintained coolant systems will, of course, delay this inevitable conclusion.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
7 Participants
Ears
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing