Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Greek God of the R129
8,359 Posts
Yes it is replaceable.
Hoping that you can pull it out of the old radiator.

Regards,
aam.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,140 Posts
BEHR HELLA SERVICE 8MY 376 743-321
Found this leak today. I didnt touch it just yet Im waiting for my engine to cool down. Is this something that is replaceable or part of the radiator?
One thing to consider: The radiator tank and necks are made of the same type and age of plastic, and have been exposed to the same coolant/environment. How long before the tank or neck goes?
I suggest you do what I and others have... Replace with all aluminum rad.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Aluminum radiator, half the dealer price and more coolant.
Where do you get an all Aluminum radiator for 1/2 dealer price???

My original radiator, 19 years old, is still performing fine… but I was thinking just in case…

…Why would I want to pay more for an aftermarket while genuine MB radiator lasted this long… without any problems.

https://www.mercedespartsdepot.com/v-2000-mercedes-benz-sl500--base--5-0l-v8-gas/cooling-system--radiator-and-components

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c/mercedes/2000/1376153-sl500/16-cooling_system/2172-radiator?s=d&page=1

·
Registered
937 Posts
Dud to remove the elbow you need to take off the top hose .Find a ring spaner to fit over the elbow from inside the radiator it must be small enough to close in the tangs that stick out that hold it inside .Be careful removing it so you dont damage it .Then find a good O ring fit it to the base of the elbow and pop it back in .

·
Registered
937 Posts
Where do you get an all Aluminum radiator for 1/2 dealer price???

My original radiator, 19 years old, is still performing fine… but I was thinking just in case…

…Why would I want to pay more for an aftermarket while genuine MB radiator lasted this long… without any problems.

https://www.mercedespartsdepot.com/v-2000-mercedes-benz-sl500--base--5-0l-v8-gas/cooling-system--radiator-and-components

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c/mercedes/2000/1376153-sl500/16-cooling_system/2172-radiator?s=d&page=1

·
Registered
472 Posts
I paid $274 for mine on eBay same quality AutohausAZ sells. The hose necks crack on the plastic radiators plus the aluminum one holds more coolant. Liland 1314AA
Good to know. Yeah, these plastic hose necks always make me nervous when working with old radiator. That said, I only ever managed to break off one of them and that was on a radiator I was replacing due to age and poor performance.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Photodude i know how it goes - - me too i work under the hood with that little elbow in the back of my mind .
But cheaper to replace than a radiator . I have three of these little critters as spares just in case i slip up one day.. But the alum radiator sure is worth thinking about if you can get one for your car..

·
Registered
834 Posts
Good to know. Yeah, these plastic hose necks always make me nervous when working with old radiator. That said, I only ever managed to break off one of them and that was on a radiator I was replacing due to age and poor performance.
I developed a hairline crack on the upper hose neck on both my 98 SL500 and 99 Sl600. Kept seeing the white crap in the engine compartment and couldn't see where it was coming from till I borrowed a pressure tester. The cracks were just inside the hose coverage.

·
Registered
472 Posts
... i know how it goes - - me too i work under the hood with that little elbow in the back of my mind .
I actually broke off large neck while removing upper radiator hose on W124, that's why I'm always mindful this could happen when those plastic fittings are old enough.
I developed a hairline crack on the upper hose neck on both my 98 SL500 and 99 Sl600. Kept seeing the white crap in the engine compartment and couldn't see where it was coming from till I borrowed a pressure tester. The cracks were just inside the hose coverage.
I don't think I've ever seen that but, radiator getting old and anything can happen I guess. From my experience, I would not have an issue putting in another Genuine MB/ Behr radiator but I'm very open to upgrade to All Aluminum.

Best prices I found are: Genuine MB = $363.40, CSF = $430.53, Liland 1314AA = $249.79

What's the difference between CSF and Liland?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Best prices I found are: Genuine MB = $363.40, CSF = $430.53, Liland 1314AA = $249.79

What's the difference between CSF and Liland?
All I can say about that is the Liland is a quality radiator. I have made a lot of oil tanks and coolers for race cars in my younger days and the welding on the radiator is excellent. I have 10k on mine and make monthly trips to NV and AZ, no issues. Maybe some one else can attest to this also

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,140 Posts
All I can say about that is the Liland is a quality radiator. I have made a lot of oil tanks and coolers for race cars in my younger days and the welding on the radiator is excellent. I have 10k on mine and make monthly trips to NV and AZ, no issues. Maybe some one else can attest to this also
Yup.
If you get lucky, you can find the liland on APW for less than $200US . I have no issues with mine with a few thousand miles on it now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
7 Participants
Ears
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing